cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MG 3250 grayed out 2 sided print option (Yosemite 10.10.3)

scimos
Apprentice

yosemite 10.10.3

printer driver 12.3.0.0

have deleted and re-installed printer

when printing using airprint option 2 sided can be choosen (but other options are limited)

when printing using driver  (to enable lower qulity printing - i.e. fast) - double sided is a grayed out option - and no matter which options are utilised it will not highlight.

is there a solution ? 😐

thanks

6 REPLIES 6

RevCanonX
Contributor

I've been searching (on and off) for a solution to that very problem (on an MX5350) since January -- about when I upgraded to Yosemite. Is it a problem with the OS or the driver?

Have you installed the latest driver since upgrading to Yosemite? Are you using it via USB or wireless? If wireless, you will want to make sure you add the 'Canon IJ Network" version of the printer instead of the generic Bonjour version to make sure you have access to all the driver options.

I just did all that (mine's an MG5350 not an MX, by the way), but the two sided printing function is still greyed out. If I click on the "Presets" box and select "Show Presets..." option, I get a menu of what is set for the default setting (under "Layout", the "Two sided" option shows "Off"), but no means of changing any settings. How can I do that? Do I need to get into Terminal or something to set it to "On"? If so, what's the command line? Or if not, what else can I do? Thanks for your help.

Solution found by trial and error. You may wish to note it for future reference.

Under "Printer" there was a line, "Nearby printers", showing another version of "Canon MG5300 Series" - I clicked on that and it showed "Configuring printer" for a few seconds. A new printer by the same name appeared in the "Printers and Scanners" section of System Preferences.

Then, when I clicked on the options window (at that point showing "Copies & Pages"), the layout was back in the order I was used to when 2-sided was an available option, and (glory be!) when I clicked on "Layout", up came a beautiful black lettering version of the "Two sided:" box. Click on that and I get the familiar options of "Off / Long-Edge Binding / Short-Edge Binding".

I hope this helps others facing the same problem.

To be clear, I
* deleted the previous versions of the printer in System Preferences
* then re-installed the latest drivers
* made sure the printer was switched on and connected
* then clicked the "+" sign to add a new printer
* then followed merrymary247's instructions
* then the procedures in my post above.

I'll give it a go - thanks...

Announcements