cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MF8380Cdw drum toner spots

heetsink
Apprentice

I am having a lot of toner spots on output on my MF8380Cdw color laser multifunction.

In particular cyan toner it getting everywhere. I think a defective toner cartridge may have dumped much of it inside, possibly contaminating the drum, and we cannot clean it all out.

Is there any way to easily do this work? Is the part available online?

has anyone any expreince similar to this?

thanks in advance,

J

3 REPLIES 3

Patrice
Whiz

Hi Heetsink.

I understand that you are experiencing poor image quality because of toner on printouts from the machine.  The drums are actually located in the toner cartridges, so whenever you replace the toner, you replace the drum too.

It definitely sounds like toner may have leaked inside the machine.  I recommend cleaning the internal transfer belt and also the fixing unit.  Here are the steps to perform those functions.

Cleaning the Fixing Unit

In the following cases, the fixing unit may be dirty. Clean the fixing unit.

• When black streaks appears on the printed paper
  • When a toner cartridge is replaced

1. Press [ ] (Menu).

2. Press [ ] or [ ] to select <Adjustment/Maintenance>, and then press [OK].

3. Press [ ] or [ ] to select <Clean Fixing Unit>, and then press [OK].

4. Confirm that paper is loaded, and then press [OK].

Load paper of the type displayed on the screen.

Cleaning starts. It takes approx. 68 seconds for MF8380Cdw and approx. 74 seconds for MF8080Cw.

* It is recommended that you use plain paper to clean the fixing unit.

note:
  • If cleaning does not start

When there are jobs stored in memory, this function is not available.

5. Press [ ] (Menu) to close the menu screen.

Cleaning the ITB

If dirt sticks to the transfer belt and results in deterioration in print quality, clean the transfer belt inside the machine.

1. Press [ ] (Menu).

2. Press [ ] or [ ] to select <Adjustment/Maintenance>, and then press [OK].

3. Press [ ] or [ ] to select <Clean ITB>, and then press [OK].

4. Press [OK].

Cleaning starts. It takes approx. 51 seconds for MF8380Cdw and approx. 83 seconds for MF8080Cw.

5. Press [ ] (Menu) to close the menu screen.

You may have to go through the cleaning a few times to completely clean the machine. 

If further assistance is needed, please feel free to contact us at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666). 

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I tried the system steps too clean up the streaks down the long edge of my sheets, but they got worse afterwards.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. We need to make due with this printer and we have not had any other issues accept some light squeeling sounds.

I too have the same problem.  It began after approx 18months of use.  I have smearing on the Rt Long Side of the page.  I have tried all the cleaning sttings but nothing works.

The printer is under Warranty by Square Trade and they have refused to repair or replace.  The unit is no longer making the squeeling sound but the streaking on the page continues.

Is there a resolution?

Announcements