cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAC OS 10.15 Catalina Compatibility with PIXMA MG8220?

InkMan
Apprentice

Hi, 

Trying to confirm whether new Canon software will be released for scanning on the 8220.  The Canon software "broke" with 64 bit Catalina.  BTW, printer and scanner continue to work fine via Catalina, and Apple's Image Capture tool, VueScan etc.  Just not able to use the Canon software anymore...

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

There are no official drivers for the 8220 since High Sierra.  I doubt you will see Calatina drivers for this device.  Its 9 yrs old.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

So, this means the scanner will never work with the macOS Catalina? I can't imagine having to purchase yet another printer/scanner. And I saw your comment about it being 9 years old. I just purchased mine 2 years ago from Best Buy.

I had a system crash and had to reset the printer, which erased it and now I can't find a way to reinstall it. I'm on Catalina. There's got to be a way to fix this.

I've been searching high and low on the web for a driver and coming up empty. This whole business of planned obsolescence is irritating. I bought my MG8220 eight years ago and it still works great but due to needing to have my hard drive replaced, I now have to buy a new machine simply because Canon decided not to support their older products? 

Hi MsVista,

The PIXMA MG8220 is not supported with macOS v10.15.  You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET). If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

alpenglow9
Apprentice
Hi there...I took recently upgraded to macOS Catalina V10.15.4 and using a PIXMA MG8220 model printer/scanner. I haven't been able to get my scanner to initiate. When I look for drivers on the Canon website it says "There is no driver for the OS Version you selected. The driver my be included in your OS or you may not need a driver." I can't get anyone from Canon on the support line. I'm placed on hold for over 30 mins. each time. So, do I need to purchase a new printer/scanner? This was an expensive device.
Announcements