cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to make my Canon PIXMA MX922 Stop cleaning itself after every single print I do?

PetesPanels
Apprentice

My cannon MX922 CONSTANTLY cleans itself after every single print that I do if I don't catch it within the first 60 seconds. After I print something I have a 60 second window to print something else or it will go into this 5 minute long cleaning cycle. If I change modes (ie: from copy to scan) It instantly rolls into another cleaning cycle.

Not only is it looking for EVERY opportunity to waste my inks,  but it also wastes my time if I'm in a hurry!!!! (Thank God I buy the refill kits from China, otherwise I'd have to open a savings account just for "official approved brand" ink)

Is there some way I can stop the auto cleaning cycle, or increase the time before it falls into it's cycle? Or can you guys work on a firmware update that calms this OCD printer down??? I understand that all printer companies have a deal with inking companies and it's a great tactic to get the general user to have to buy ink BY THE TON but this is ridiculous!

Please fix this. I really enjoy the quality that Cannon makes, don't ruin my opinion of you by getting money hungry and designing things that are made to fail from the get go. Your just going to frustrate your customer base, and you'll be known for being just as sheisty as "Brother" brand printers.

19 REPLIES 19

I have a TS6020 printer and it too does an automatic cleaning after every print job, regardless of size or content. 

I contacted Canon support about the issue and basically got the run around. See my post  titled "TS6020 auto clean cycle"

I don't think  Canon is going to do anything about it, it is a big money maker and major rip-off.

I have found no way to turn auto clean off, or stop it.  Turning the printer off only delays the clean cycle.

The only recourse we have is to buy 3rd party cartridges, refill cartridges, stop buying Canon products.

It amazes me how few people are complaining about this issue, with millions of printers out there doing the same thing.

This is deliberate.   They just want you to purchase the designed number of print cartridges.   No fix.   No solution.  Just a sour business model.  

jerryram
Contributor

I have expirimented with this issue on my Canon TS6020 and found a way to prevent the auto cleaning cycle from occuring.

This method applies for those instances where you want to print multiple documents at one time.

By puting the printer in PAUSE mode prior to printing, prints job will be stacked in the printer QUE for later printing.

When you are ready to print your documents, simply remove the check next to PAUSE and printing will begin.

Once all pages have been printed, select PAUSE again to prevent the cleaning cycle from starting. Be sure to do this within the 60 second time frame after the last page has printed.

The shortcut Alt/A keys pressed simultaneous toggles the PAUSE mode.

If you know of any other solutions please POST

Thank you for this suggestion, it was helpful and does solve the issue of constant cleaning.  But they need to address the problem and provide the fix from the manufacturing line.  I just bought this printer about a year ago but the issue was raised to canon back in 2015 within this feed and they are still manufacturing their printers with this programming set within each unit.  We as consumers shouldn't have to do work arounds as to get the best performance out of a printer unit.  That is the printers job!  

APTI
Apprentice

We use the mx922 as our receipt printer. yes we are a business. It does not clean after every print, in fact it prints for a bit before it wants to clean unless the printer is shut down. then it wants to clean. It seems to also have an "urgency" sensor that trips frequently. Anytime we have a customer that needs the receipt the printer tends to detect that the customer is waiting and goes into a cleaning cycle making the customer wait until it is finished before actually printing. The cleaning cycle is far to frequent and I feel we need a way to override it when we need a print done urgently or a way to make it not so frequent.

Please please please give your customers what they ask for.

pammie89
Apprentice

Canon has responded to this with general unhelpful response posts, which tells us all they have heard the concern from their customers. And have chosen to leave the issue in status of IGNORED!  This is deceptive practice at its best.  I noticed the issue because I was getting a magenta out error yet I have my print settings to only print in black draft.  Then I went to search and found this feed.  So clearly that is where all my color ink is going, straight into the cleaner sponge.

Literally everyone who has posted on this feed or comes across this feed with the same issue needs to pledge to avoid purchasing canon products.  Because they made a conscious deceptive decision probably in a board room somewhere on what's the easiest and cheapest route to boost ink sales. And they chose to cheat the very people who keep them in business....WE THE CONSUMER!

On mere principal alone, I will never buy another canon printer. Shame on you Canon!

vince1147
Apprentice

Have had the same frustrations you are experiencing...researched thoroughly and sadly found no solutions. Once put a new magenta cartridge in, made about 20 copies over a few months and it was empty again just from all the cleaning. My solution was selling it (felt a little guilty), but I would have felt better throwing it out a window. All ink jet printers are somewhat guilty of this, but Canon is ridiculous.

pdreyfuss
Apprentice

I just now found this thread because my PIXMA iP3500 has been annoying me by cleaning seemingly every time I jostle it slightly. I had one before that was doing that and it broke. Then I bought another identical replacement and at first it was fairly quiet and made me think the problem was just with the older one, but after a few weeks it started up exactly the same. So I agree - that does seem deliberate. I posted about a month ago https://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Desktop-Inkjet-Printers/PIXMA-iP3500-making-quot-self-cleaning-qu...

and was told by a Canon rep that it was too old and not supported, so therefore no answer. Anyway I think maybe the best compromise is to turn it off until I want to use it.

pdreyfuss
Apprentice

On the other hand... I tried leaving it off but turning on just to print one sheet. Then after I was finished I turned it off again. It cleaned itself before and after the sheet! So my solution is not so great, it seems.

dulinw
Apprentice

Will Canon ever provide real support for this problem?

Announcements