cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ink absorber pad full

Macnerd
Contributor

YAY! There's a Canon forum! Yet I don't see it in the Canon, USA sitemap. Why isn't it on the webpage?

My printer recently died on me so I'm in the market for a new printer. I've spent hours on YouTube & Google researching the different brands & inkjets vs lasers.

I'm specifically interested in the G4210 or the G5020 or the G6020 or the G7020.

I've watched Youtube videos about cleaning the printheads. I think that it's neat that Canon printers come with removeable printheads. Maybe not all Canon printers. I don't know.

I've watched YouTube videos that tout printhead cleaning kits. I wouldn't want to use a syringe to force cleaning solution thru the printhead nozzles. It seems to me that the nozzle plate would pop out or bend if too much force is used. I worry about getting the cleaning solution in the printer itself. That's why it's great that Canon printers have removeable printheads.

Instead of me buying a cleaning kit, can household cleaners be used to clean the Canon printheads like ammonia, alcohol, white vinegar? Maybe not vinegar because it has acetic acid in it.

Anyway, I'm wondering if the Pixma G series printers have removeable ink absorber pads. I read online that there's a rubber container beneath the printheads that can be removed.

6 REPLIES 6

Macnerd
Contributor

Hello?

Would someone please answer my questions?

Darius
Whiz

Hi Macnerd.

The Canon Community Forum is not for immediate assistance. If this is a time-sensitive matter, you may click HERE to search our knowledge base, or create/log into a Canon Account and register your printer HERE for your personalized support options.

The print head is removable, though should not be manually cleaned. Because the nozzles are so small, and because the print head contains electronic and electrical components, solvents, cleaning detergents, and even water may cause damage.  Instead, Canon inkjet printers use the Canon inks themselves to keep the nozzles clear and clean.  In the case of clogged nozzles, the printer's cleaning routines can use the ink feed system to flush the nozzles and clear the clogs.

The ink absorber inside of the G series printers is not designed to be removed.  Removing it may cause damage not covered by the warranty.  The ImagePROGRAF series printers feature an ink absorber in their replaceable maintenance cartridge. They're designed for a different range of printing than the G series, while the G series will generally feature better price-per-page in ink.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for the reply.

I've been doing hours of research on Google & YouTube. I'm anxious to replace my defunct printer.

The main thing that worries me is the ink drying out. I've read online that supertank printers are less likely to experience dried ink because the ink delivery system is sealed.

I noticed on the Canon website that there are no authorized service centers where one can take the printer to be repaired. Apparently, Canon exchanges printers instead of repairing them. That does save the consumer money.

My defunct printer is not a Canon. I've never seen a message on the printer display telling me that the ink pad absorber is full. I've watched YouTube videos that explain how to reset the "ink absorber full" message. Is replacing the ink absorber pad covered under the waranty? I know that the ink absorber pad absorbs the ink when the printer cleans itself. So, the more frequently the printer cleans itself, the sooner the pad will be full.

So then does one dispose of the Canon printer when one sees the "ink absorber full" message? One shouldn't take the printer to the nearest landfill & dump it. One should dispose of the printer according to their state's laws.

Hi Macnerd,

If in the unlikely case that your Canon printer experiences a waste ink absorber error, if your printer is in warranty, then the printer would be exchanged with a new printer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'm glad that I have the option to extend the printer warranty to 4 years.

I'm glad that you used the word "unlikely".

Why does Canon choose to exchange a printer instead of having authorized service centers? It's great for the consumer. The consumer doesn't have to spend an arm & a leg & a few other body parts to get a printer repaired.

Announcements