cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG2950 Ink Absorber Full - Buy a new printer!

MatthewC
Contributor

The ink absorber on my Canon MG2950 is, it says, almost full. I spoke to Canon Support who told me that the first time you get this it means it is 85% full, and told me how to overcome this. However, they were quite clear that one day soon it will reach 100% at which stage my printer has to be returned to Canon at great expense to fix this, and that I might as well buy a new one as it would be cheaper. Looking at this forum (and elsewhere on line) it is clear that this is a recurring issue on almost all Canon printers. When this occurs, the manual I have simply says to contact the service center, not "Your printer is scrap". The manual doesn't even say how to get around the 85% issue.

In this day and age to use built-in obsolescence as a means of increasing your income stream is really not acceptable. What are the costs to the environment of this policy?

I want to know how Canon have the nerve to sell a product that effectively has a finite life without telling the customer. As far as I can see it's like buying a new car and then when the spark plugs or the tires need replacement, you are told to buy a new car and scrap the old one!

This policy is basically outrageous and I really cannot envisage EVER buying another Canon product. Go on, give me one good reason!

5 REPLIES 5

Porcha
Rising Star

Hi MatthewC,

Welcome to The Canon Forums, and thank you for your inquiry!

We appreciate your participation, however, we need to let you know that the Canon Forum is hosted and moderated within the United States by Canon USA. We are only able to provide support for Canon products manufactured for and used within the US market.

If you live outside the United States, to go: https://global.canon and select your country or region for your support needs.

Where I live is immaterial to my complaint - I do assume Canon products are the same the world over!

Well today my Canon MG2950 stopped printing. It is fully serviceable but seems to have reached the end of the road as it has printed the number that Canon will allow as the ink absorber is full (85%) and we have now used the remaining 15 %, it seems. This is absolutely disgraceful!

Nothing will bring it back - I have tried various suggestions online. I will never buy a Canon printer again and, for that matter, why should I ever buy any other Canon product?

I am now off to buy a new printer by choosing on the ABC method - Anything But Canon.

I am happy to recommend the same to anyone else - don't buy Canon as you are buying built in obsolescence just to improve their bottom line.

So sorry you feel the way you feel MatthewC. However, all inkjet works 100% the same way. Doesn't matter what brand name you pick they all have a waste ink reservoir to collect the waste ink in the process of nozzle cleaning. One day they will get full. Laser printer works the same way except when the waste toner reservoir got full. You just replace the toner cartridges 

Jelly
Apprentice

I have the same issue with my MP490 printer. It was bought in the USA. I have cleaned and replaced pads, so the only thing preventing it from working is the built in software. I think this business practice of selling a printer with a fixed number of prints available is contrary to any good business practices, and certainly horrific for any concerns for our increasing landfills. Where on the box did it say "Prints wonderfully for 5,000 prints then guaranteed never to work again."???? Come on - what are the key presses that would allow us to keep these perfectly capable printers from entering the land fill?????????

Announcements