cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IJ scan utility code 5,206,8 "The scanner is not available while in use by another application..."

pwrichcreek
Enthusiast

I disconnected the ts8120 to move it--literally--5 feet to the other end of the desk where the computer is located. It's connected with a usb cable. Same cable, same computer. I may have connected it through a different usb port of the computer. Now I'm getting the5,206,8 error. It prints OK. It copies from the scanner to printer. I'm addicted to making copies of documents to pdf; for example, so that I can email them. 

Any suggestions?

4 REPLIES 4

Stephen

Hello!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what model printer you're using (it's usually on the top or front of the unit), the Computer Operating System you're using (Windows Vista/7/8/10 or macOS 10.x).

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If you're in the United States, and this is an urgent support need, please click HERE to enter your product information and discover your support options. 

If you're outside of the USA, please click HERE to find support options in your country.

Thanks and have a great day!

I usually give those details but in this case, since I had the exact code, those are usually specific enough that they will often lead to a solution that isn't specific to the model or OS. In this case I was wrong LOL. So, it's a ts8120 running on Wiindow 10 with all updates current.

Thanks.

Hi pwrichcreek,

Reinstalling the drivers should resolve this issue.  Please disconnect the USB cable from your TS8120 and then follow these steps:

1.  Press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.

2.  In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK.

3.  In Control Panel, please click on Uninstall a program.

4.  In the list that appears, please click once on "Canon TS8100 series MP Drivers" and click Uninstall at the top.

5.  Follow the prompts to uninstall.

Once the uninstall is completed, please visit this page to download the latest driver:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/ts-s...

Please click the Select button next to "TS8100 series MP Drivers Ver.1.02 (Windows)" and then the Download button.

Once the download is complete, please open/run that downloaded file to reinstall your PIXMA TS8120 on your computer.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I had already done several troubleshooting steps and the drivers and other software hadn't changed between the time it was failing and the time is was OK. I decided instead of updating all the software, I'd reboot. After the reboot, it's working fine with pdf's. But there's a problem with scanning photos into jpeg files. I'm going to update all the software and, if the photos scanning still fails, I'll open another question.

Well, updating the drivers was a bit scary. You didn't tell me it was going to restart the computer. And you didn't mention that it would display a "Welcome" screen for10 minutes. After which I did a manual hard reboot with the computer power button. Seems a bit expensive to just uninstall a printer driver. Oh, BTW--the restart did not give me an chance to save my work-in-progress.

Announcements