cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have the Pixma 8720. Can I still print gray scale photos.

brassman
Enthusiast

When one of the 3 color cartridges runs out of ink, will I still able to print text/photos without replacing the empty cartridge?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi brassman,

If you have a photo paper or other paper type other than plain paper selected in the printer driver, or are performing duplex (double-sided) printing, the printer uses a combination of the color ink tanks in the unit to produce the gray on the page.  If you select the grayscale printing option in the printer driver, and are printing single-sided documents on plain paper, the printer will use the larger black ink tank in the unit to produce the text/images on the page.  

If you are receiving a low ink warning on one or more of the ink tanks in the unit and need to continue printing, you can disable the ink level detection function of the printer so you can continue printing until you are able to replace the low/out of ink tanks. To do this, please press and hold down the STOP/RESET or RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer for at least 5 seconds, then release it.  You will need to do this procedure for each ink tank that is low/out of ink.  Once the inks are replaced with Canon genuine ink tanks, the ink level detection function of the printer will be re-enabled. Also, please note that all ink tanks are required to be in the printer at all times in order for it to function, even if some of the ink tanks are low or out of ink.

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Ramona
Authority

Hi brassman,

If you have a photo paper or other paper type other than plain paper selected in the printer driver, or are performing duplex (double-sided) printing, the printer uses a combination of the color ink tanks in the unit to produce the gray on the page.  If you select the grayscale printing option in the printer driver, and are printing single-sided documents on plain paper, the printer will use the larger black ink tank in the unit to produce the text/images on the page.  

If you are receiving a low ink warning on one or more of the ink tanks in the unit and need to continue printing, you can disable the ink level detection function of the printer so you can continue printing until you are able to replace the low/out of ink tanks. To do this, please press and hold down the STOP/RESET or RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer for at least 5 seconds, then release it.  You will need to do this procedure for each ink tank that is low/out of ink.  Once the inks are replaced with Canon genuine ink tanks, the ink level detection function of the printer will be re-enabled. Also, please note that all ink tanks are required to be in the printer at all times in order for it to function, even if some of the ink tanks are low or out of ink.

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello. I just bought my Canon MG2410 and firstly I was trying to download the driver but coulnd find the series so i downloaded 2420 series which is the closest. I downloaded it along with the software as well. Now I'm trying to run a test print and it is not responding to it. Each time I try to print it keeps saying "User Intervention" and a notification pops up saying that the printer has a problem that requires the user intervention. The ststus of the printer is also saying User Intervention. Can someone help me PLEASE!!!!! My OS is Windows 10 and I'm based in Jamaica.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements