cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have an MG7120 and I cannot scan documents. When I am in the quick menu, I have no scan options.

JSELL839
Apprentice

What do I need to do to scan a document to my laptop?

4 REPLIES 4

Tiffany

Hi JSELL839!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know what Computer Operating System you're using. (Windows XP/Vista/7/8 or Mac 10.x) 

Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue!

If this is an urgent support need, please CLICK HERE to reach our friendly Technical Support Team by phone or email.

Thanks!

I am running windows 7 professional. I have no scan options. When I try to scan on teh printer. It says "Processing: Please wait", but after that I get nothihng. I can find no scan options in the quick start menu.

Ramona
Authority

Hi JSELL839,

There is a program that comes with the printer called the IJ Scan Utility that can assist you with scanning. To scan using the IJ Scan Utlity, please follow these steps:

1. Place the first page of the document you would like to scan on the platen glass of the printer.

2. Start IJ Scan Utility by going to your Start menu, then selecting All Programs, then Canon Utilities, then IJ Scan Utility (folder), then IJ Scan Utility (program).

3. In the Canon IJ Scan Utility window that opens, click SETTINGS.... in the bottom right of the window. The Settings dialog box appears.

4. Click the DOCUMENT SCAN option on the left pane of the window, then set the item size, resolution, etc. as required.

5. In the SAVE SETTINGS section of the window, you will select the save format and location of the document you are about to scan.

a.) In the FILE NAME field, specify the name you would like to give the file. By default the filename will begin with IMG; you can remove IMG and change it to whatever you would like to name the file.

b.) In the DATA FORMAT field, use the drop-down arrow to select the desired option. If you are scanning a multipage document, select the PDF (Multiple Pages) option. Note: If you are scanning photos, you will have the option of scanning items as JPEG, TIFF or PNG format.

c.) In the SAVE IN field, please navigate to the area where you would like the file to be saved once it is scanned in. By default, the file will be saved in the MY DOCUMENTS folder.

6. Once all settings have been selected, click the OK button at the bottom of the SETTINGS (DOCUMENT SCAN) window. The IJ Scan Utility main screen appears.

7. Click the DOCUMENT button. Scanning starts. Click the CANCEL button to cancel scanning if needed. Scanned images are saved in previously selected folder location specified in the SETTINGS... window.

Please note that if you want to scan photos, you would follow the steps above, except for instead of selecting the DOCUMENT SCAN option, you would select the PHOTO SCAN option in step 4, and you would click on the PHOTO button in step 7 instead of the DOCUMENT button.

Once the items above are set for document or photo scanning, in the future, you will only need to launch the IJ Scan Utility, then press either the DOCUMENT or PHOTO button to perform the scan (unless you want to make changes to the settings).

If you do not have the IJ Scan Utility installed on your computer, you can reinstall the drivers for the printer from the Canon USA website to obtain the software.  Please click here to go to the Drivers and Software page for the PIXMA MG7120.  Once on the initial download page for your model, please do the following:

1. Verify that the operating system detected in the "OPERATING SYSTEM" drop-down menu is correct, and if it is not, please click the drop-down menu to select your operating system.

2. Next, please click on the red arrow next to the "RECOMMENDED DOWNLOADS " section and click the FULL DRIVEr AND SOFTWARE PACKAGE file. When you do, a red DOWNLOAD button will appear. Please click on the checkbox below the DOWNLOAD button, then click the red DOWNLOAD button to begin the download. The time for the download process may vary depending on the speed of your Internet connection and the size of the file being downloaded.

Once the file has been downloaded, please double-click on it to reinstall the drivers and software on your computer.

Hope this helps!

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have no main menu (3 basic screens only) that shows the software IJ program & my air printing worked 'once' but I can't get it to print again.....VERY frustrating. Can you advise. I tried to follow to 50 step program listed, but was stalled at the second instruction..

thanks very much

dave

Announcements