cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I fixed my persistent 1311 error (paper jam) by running cardstock through the paper feed

jbrooks
Contributor

When I ran 3x5 index cards through my MX922 printer, it gave me a paper jam (1311) error code.  I took out the paper trays and the back transit cover, and removed one errant card.  Problem solved!  Except it wasn't.

The printer kept giving me a 1311 error code, even after I removed all the jammed paper I could find.     

I finally fixed the error code with these steps:

1) turn off the printer

2) remove the paper trays 

3) manually feed an inch or two of stiff paper into the paperfeed mechanism behind the trays (be careful not to damage anything-- wiggle the cardstock a little to gently feed it in)

4) slide the paper trays back in, being careful to not disturb the cardstock

5) turn on the printer

6) wait for the printer's initiallization process to pick up the cardstock and send it through. 

When my printer turned on, it whirred, picked up the cardstock, sent it through the paper transit pathway, and then deposited it into the output tray.   Two index cards popped out along with the cardstock, so the index cards must have been trapped inside the machine where I couldn't access them.   The printer booted normally-- and the error message disappeared!

Hope this helps someone else with a persistent paper jam error.  It's a very frustrating code to resolve. 

25 REPLIES 25

gramma3x
Apprentice
You may need a flashlight to see it. Once you take out both paper trays - look in the back. You will see a rectangular light gray metal strip. If I remember correctly, you run the stuff paper behind that strip. You will see two small rollers just above that. Be careful when you put the paper trays back in to make sure you don't crimp the stiff paper. Hope this helps. Gramma.

Gramma, that idiot thing is still going.   what does 1-2" mean?  wide?  long" ?   Does it go above the strip, or between the strip and the roller?

Still nuts.

Bird

Gramma, that idiot thing is still going.   what does 1-2" mean?  wide?  long" ?   Does it go above the strip, or between the strip and the roller?

Still nuts.

Bird

matthewmurray
Apprentice

Genius! You saved the day, thanks very much 🙂

Hi guys--

I finally fixed my paper jam, but in a different way.  I tried and tried the card stock thing, but it didn't work.  And I tried several other fixes that nice folks online suggested.  A complete washout.

BUT Canon was finally open this morning, and a kind tech support man guided me through.  This applies to my Canon MX922; don't know if it works for others.

First turn off the printer; unplug the power supply cord from the back of the printer.  Try the card stock fix, above, and if it doesn't work, open the ink cartridge area in the front.  Sometimes you can see a little piece of the paper there.  In my case it was so little that I couldn't hold onto it.  So I opened the rear access door.  There are two buttons on the back of the printer; push them together and the door comes off.  There's a grey piece directly behind the door;  it too comes out.  THEN, again in my printer, there was the paper!  It was wound around a roller.  I cut it in half, and pulled each piece out.  Plugged in the power cord, turned the machine on.  No error message, and it printed (this model takes forever to get ready, but don't be discouraged; eventually it will print).

I hope this will help some of your readers.

largelee
Apprentice

J Brooks,

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!  I had precisely the same problem.  I foolishly attempted to print a photo with Canon's 3.5" x 3.5" photo paper only to find it's too short to make it through the machine (don't use any photo paper shorter than 4").  

After removing the rear panel, I took out what I thought was the only piece of 3.5" x 3.5" paper inside, then reassembled the rear panel.  Still the 1311 error code persisted. 

Taking a piece of thick cardstock (might not work with thinner, normal weight paper), with the power OFF, I raised the machine to sit upright on it's back side.  Then gently inserted the cardstock into the slot where the lower paper tray would feed a sheet of paper through the machine.  I inserted it as far as it would go before there was any resistance.  

Returning the machine right side up and turning the power ON, it did exactly as you said - the rollers forced the cardstock through the inside and ejected it out the front as normal.  In the process, it also ejected another piece of 3.5" x 3.5" photo paper which I could not see when the rear panel had been removed.  

THIS SOLUTION WORKS!  

According to the pre-printed lines on the inside of the upper paper tray, the smallest size paper it can accomodate is 3.5" x 5'0".  But as your experience with index cards that size illustrates, you're pushing your luck trying to feed anything that small through the inside of the machine.  4" x 6" photo paper works fine though.  Lesson learned!  Keep away from anything 3" tall!  Thank you again!!!

Brilliant! Thank you for this information. It worked perfectly for me and dislodged the slip of paper that was stuck in the machine but hidden from view. Thanks again.

jkam
Apprentice

Hi,

Thank you for posting this.  It worked!  I've been trying to fix for about 3 hours now and your post fixed it in 1 minute!  I wasn't going to register just to leave a reply but then thought better of it because you took the time to post your solution so I decided to take the time to register and thank you for the solution.

THANK YOU  THANK YOU  THANK YOU ! ! !

Thanks for taking the time to register and comment! It makes me smile every time I hear the tip has helped someone.

aycannon
Apprentice

You are awesome. I had tried everything I could think of and nothing worked but this worked first time!

Announcements