cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to scan from pixma mx922 to Chromebook?

Connie1
Apprentice

Can't figure out how to scan from pixma mx922 to ASUS chromebook. Can anyone help?

8 REPLIES 8

Renee
Administrator
Administrator
Scanning when using a Chromebook is not a feature that is supported by the Chrome OS.

If you have an item that you wish to scan with your PIXMA MX922 and then save it on your Chromebook, you can can and save the item to a USB flash drive and then insert that flash drive into your Chromebook and move it to its hard drive.

To scan with your PIXMA MX922 and save to a USB flash drive, please view this page of the PIXMA MX922's On Line Manual:

Yes, that's what I had read. When I purchased the printer from Amazon, the description said it was compatible with chromebook for printing (cloud) and for scanning. It didn't mention flash drive so thought I could scan to email or to the cloud and then print. Guess not. Unfortunate.

indelam
Apprentice

I've bougth the same thinking it will be supported by chromebok 😞 

James4074
Apprentice

Download Canon Print  App on your phone or chrome book, connect your printer to the app and it works

Which Canon Print app? The Canon Print Inkjet/SEPHY does not work, and if it did, wouldn't it only work with Android apps?

Canon's Android app requires the printer to be in the same unfirewalled subnet as the computer. Chromebook "hides" the virtual Android environment to its own network space, so Canon's Android app fails to detect any printers or scanners. If they just let the user type in the IP address of the printer/scanner, the app would work. But they don't allow that, so the app doesn't work on Chromerbooks.

However, I've discovered an Android app that can be used for scanning on Chromebooks: Mopria Scan. I have used it successfully on my Chromebook for scanning images with my Canon TS8300-series printer/scanner.

bigt-one971
Apprentice

It is true that Chrome O/S does not support scanning directly to the Chromebook, there may be some options. As stated above, you can scan to a thumb drive and transfer that to the Chromebook. The reference to Chromebooks having the ability to scan basically means you can set cloud ready devices to scan directly to your cloud based Google drive, then download those scans to the Chromebook. In the last year or so, Chrome O/S has added the ability to run some Android apps. You may be able to download one of these apps to see if it works with your particular Canon device. Since I work for a company that sells and services Canon laser driven office equipment, I only have experience with the Canon Business app. Most companies have Windows or MAC based computers, so I haven't had many request to set that up.

ps_canon
Contributor

Since the OP in 2016 and my original response in 2020 a lot has changed. Scanning is now built into ChromeOS. I  can scan to my Mx922 and my G6000.  It  can even handle multiple pages, single- and double-side with the mx922, knows that it has a document feeder..

Go to ChromeOS Settings/Advanced/Print and Scan. Click the "open app" icon (box with arrow pointing up and right).

A dialog box will open and just as it does with wireless printers, list visible wireless scanners.  If you scan a lot, while that applet is open, right -click its icon on the Shelf and pin it. 

ps_canon_1-1654436376608.png

ps_canon_0-1654436315088.png

Announcements