cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to print only in Black and White with Pixma MX922?

adamtobel
Apprentice

Hi,

I have a Pixma MX922 printer with which I would like to print Black and White only. Now, that I am out of color ink I wouldn't want to buy new ones until I actually need them, but BW. As it seems, now my printer does not want to print only in BW because the color inks are empty. It still has ink in the BK and PGBK cartridges.

I have an Apple MackBook, which operates on OS Sierra Version 10.12. 6.

Thank you very much!

Best,

Adam

3 REPLIES 3

Ramona
Authority

Hi adamtobel,

The printer requires that all ink tanks be installed in the printer in order to print, even if some of the ink tanks are low or out of ink. However, you can disable the ink level detection function of the printer for the ink tanks that are low or out of ink so that you can print and use the other functions of the printer until you are ready to replace those ink tanks. This should allow you to print your black and white documents.

To disable the ink level detection function, please press and hold down the STOP/RESET or RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer for at least 5 seconds, then release it. You will need to do this procedure for each ink tank that is low or out of ink. Once the low/out of ink tanks are replaced with Canon genuine ink tanks, the ink level detection function of the printer will be re-enabled.  

You can also set the printer to print using the monochrome setting; to do this, please follow the steps shown here.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi, I tried the press/release instructions and nothing happened. And the steps for printing 'monochrome' still use all the inks. How do you set it to ONLY use the black ink?

Hi LtTawnyMadison,

The PIXMA MX922 will use color ink tanks to print colored text.  Even if the grayscale option is checked in the printer driver, if the original text is in a color other than black, the PIXMA MX922 will combine the cyan, magenta and yellow ink tanks together to make a composite black.  This is why your color ink cartridges are still being used.

To use only the black ink tank, the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements