cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How does Canon PIXMA MX922 decide which of the 2 containers of black toner to use on any given job?

vankjeff
Enthusiast

I'm a new user of this MX922. I have a spare large black 24ml toner cartridge that I bought with it originally but in that little box that it pops up with each printing job, it keeps telling me that some toner is running low.

Does it maybe only use the big PGBK B&W toner cartridge when printing with it set on Black & White and if so, is printing a color image with the print properties set to Grayscale the same as B&W so it will also maybe use from the big B&W toner cartridge?

And also, why is it called PGBK on that little pop-up box? Isn't it just a B&W toner cartridge or am I just too dumb.
I'd say I'm dumb. I need help please.

Heck, I have a hard time even figuring out how to ask a new Question every time I come to this site. I've only asked a few over my few months of owing a Canon but why does it seem to be so difficult to find an ASK button?

a epson properties black toner.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Ramona
Authority

Hi vankjeff,

The PGBK stands for Pigment Black.  The two black ink tanks in the printer serve different purposes and are used for different types of printing.   The PGBK ink tank is used for your document printing when plain paper is selected, you are doing single-sided printing, and your document contains black text.

The smaller BK ink tank is a dye-based ink and is used along with the other color inks when printing photos, performing duplex (double-sided) printing, and when a paper type other than plain paper is selected (i.e., envelopes, labels, photo paper, etc.).  Because the smaller ink tank is not usually used alone, but in combination with the other color ink tanks in the unit, the ink in it may last longer than some of the other colors.

When selecting the grayscale printing mode, the PGBK ink tank in the printer is used to print the black on the page, as long as you have the printer set to print on plain paper and are performing non-duplex (single-sided) printing. 

Hope this helps!  Should you need any other assistance, we ask that you please contact a Canon technical support representative here.  A representative will be happy to assist you free of charge.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

oxford2947
Apprentice
That was supposed to say “make sure you are not PRINTING double sided.” 🙂
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements