cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I get PIXMA MX490 to use only black ink cartridge when color cartridge runs out?

PVE
Apprentice

I have a Canon Pixma MX490 printer. I never use the color cartridge, and it has now gone dry. The machine suddenly won't print at all, giving me the message that I must replace the color cartridge. I have changed the printing preferences to “Greyscale”, but it still won’t print. The little orange light on the printer is on permanently. How do I get the machine to accept the “Greyscale” instruction, and only print with the black cartridge?

17 REPLIES 17

@bmunro wrote:

What are the steps for the pixma mp 560? ( i don't have a "Cartridge Settings button) win 10

I've gone through 4-5 sets of colour ink, never used up a black cartridge... and I never print in color!

Please help!

Greetings,

This thread applies to a different printer model than yours.  Please start a new thread so your question can be answered with the correct information.   

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

PVE
Apprentice

Many thanks for all the advice. It worked perfectly when I held down the red "button" on the printer (above the orange flashing light showing that the ink cartridge was dry) and I held it down for quite a long time (it seemed longer than 10 seconds – perhaps 15 or longer). My printer is now working perfectly, printing with only the black cartridge, and I am very happy with the result.

Edward2
Apprentice

llaventhal
Apprentice
I found this on your site and modified it a bit because of where my red button was located...BUT IT WORKED!!! It worked perfectly when I held down the red "button" on the printer (above the orange flashing light [in my case, below] showing that the ink cartridge was dry) and I held it down for quite a long time (it seemed longer than 10 seconds – perhaps 15 or longer). My printer is now working perfectly, printing with only the black cartridge, and I am very happy with the result. [SAME HERE!]

Birdwatcher
Apprentice
does canon make a printer that prints just black and white

Hi Birdwatcher,

If you purchase a printer that uses a black ink cartridge and a color ink cartridge, you can sent the printer driver to only use the black ink cartridge.

This is not available with a printer that uses multiple ink tanks (one for each color).

For further assistance, please call Canon's Sales by dialing (800) 385 - 2155.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This is not strickly true. whilst you can tell your printer to use black ink only but when the colour gives up the ghost the printer will cease to work and you have to purchase a new ink cartridge to get the printer to work. You might ask if you have told the printer to use black ink only how does the colour ink run out, the simple answer is when the printer has been switched on or recovers from sleep mode the ink cartridges push a smal amout of ink through the jets to make sure the jets are clear so you get a print out, it will take some time but when the last residue of colour ink expires so does your printer.

Any comment on this Canon will be gratefully aknowleded by all

Birdwatcher
Apprentice

so the answer is no,i suppose i should do what you said and just let the colour run out like you said but next time i get a printer regardless of make i will get a black only, lets face normally how many times do you print a picture unless it's on photographic paper but hey thanks for taking the time out to reply.

Announcements