Canon Community Canon Community

Occasional Contributor

Horizontal line in scanned document. Resulting PDF longer than original

When I scan 8-1/2"x11" documents using the ADF, the pdf created is 8.5 x 11.147 inches and there's a horizontal line at 11", which is at the end of the paper document. The line is not acceptable to me. Is there a setting I need to apply so the line does not appear and my resulting pdf's are 8.5 x 11 inches? I'm scanning from the panel on the printer and I have it set for letter size.

My Canon is a G7020 model.

Thanks.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Horizontal line in scanned document. Resulting PDF longer than original

Greetings,

The ADF will scan up to 8.5 x 14.0 (Legal)

It should not add a line at the bottom of a scanned 8.5x11 page letter.

You may have set a custom paper size unintentianally.  I suggest you review settings in the driver or application you are scanning from.  If you are scanning from the control panel, check the driver on your system.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2(v1.1.0) ~Many Lenses ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~Windows10 Pro ~EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 Ultra ~Pixma Pro-100 ~ImageClass MF644Cdw ~LBP622dw
Occasional Contributor

Paper size was set to "Letter". The paper document is letter size. Device manager said Drivers are up to date. I have all my Windows 7 updates. I looked at Canon's website for Driver updates, but all I could find were instructions for downloading the installation files.

I am scanning from the control panel. Here is a jpg of the pdf (I added a 5-pixel wide blue line to each of the 4 sides when I converted the pdf to a jpg):

IMG_0001_1.jpg

Occasional Contributor

I downloaded the installation again, but could not get past the "connect page" (The page that shows the 3 images of plugging in a USB cable to the PC, the printer, and turning the printer on). At that point, the Troubleshooter was the only option but it did not help.

I just tried scanning again. This time, when I scan in color or B&W, the pdf is 8.5 x 11 inches. There is still a grey line near the bottom. The grey line is straight but it has a slight slant to it. One end of the line is at the bottom of the pdf. I attribute the grey line to perhaps the ADF rollers dis not grab the paper evenly.

I'm willing to bet when I downloaded the Canon software this time, even though the installation stopped before it finished, new drivers were installed.

Occasional Contributor

I don't know if I should start a new discussion or not, but my new question seems to be related to my problem of the horizontal line (My new question is at the end).

I do all my scanning directly from the control panel on my Canon G7020. I noticed when I use the defaults for scanning, the horizontal line appears and the pdf is 8.5" x 11.147". "Original type" says "*Auto scan" (Auto scan is the default). When I go through the menu and change "Original type" to "Document", the line does not appear and the pdf is 8.5" x 11". The documents I'm scanning are on typed paper, 8.5" x 11".

Might I still have a driver problem?

When I change a setting on the control panel, how do I save the new settings so "Original type" does not revert back to "Auto scan"?

Product Expert

Hi David121,

Please contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone or chat. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.