cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! I have the Canon MX870 and only use genuine Canon ink. Error Msg not recognizing ink

Zenfemme3
Apprentice

This is SO F'n irritating.

I have the Canon MX870 and ONLY use genuine Canon ink.  I keep getting an error message that the smaller ink cartridge 221 (on left most position) is not recognized.  WTH.  I only have one printer.  Any help would be most appreciated.   Oh yeah, I tried turning the printer off and then on, then left it off for 10 minutes.  Still no luck....  The error message is U043.

4 REPLIES 4

Zenfemme3
Apprentice

I have now wasted 30 minutes trying everything every"guru" has posted to try for other's same issue.  

took ink out.  Turned off printer, and unplugged for 2 minutes.  Turned on and tried again...no luck.

tried to override the error message by holding the color start button.....no luck

wiped off the electrical contacts on the printer and on the ink cartridge..... no luck

placed cartridge on a wet paper towel to verify ink is flowing.....yes it is.....no luck

hopped on one foot and rubbed my hand in a circular motion on my head....no luck

cursed.....swore like a sailor is more truthful....no luck

Mitermiser
Contributor
I can relate... I replaced the ink cartridges and the printer still say ink low. I tried searching the internet and followed every single solution available I could find multiple times to no avail. Please can someone tell me howdo I get this printer to function properly. this warning makes it take 10 minutes for each document to start printing. counting deleting the printer queue and resetting the printer multiple times. I am about to throw this thing off a roof, it is annoying me so much I just may never buy a canon again. way to frustrating

BillS
Mentor

Hi zenfemme3,

It's possible that you have a single bad ink cartridge but, due to the age of your printer, it is also possible that you may need a new printhead.  I would first try replacing the one problem cartridge.  If that does not work, then replace the printhead.

I would not ask you to reveal your personal information in a public forum, so if a new printhead is needed, please contact one of our live agents at 1-800- OKCANON (800-652-2666) Monday through Friday 10am to 10pm ET and advise the agent you were directed to call in from the Canon forum.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

johnmall
Apprentice

I have the same problem....was this ever resolved?

JFM

Announcements