cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blissfullyblack
Contributor

Hello:

I bought an MX-922 in August mainly because it was cloud-ready and I could print from my Chromebook, Nexus Tablet, iPhone etc. i had no problems printing from these devices until a couple of days ago.

Suddenly it wouldn't print from my Chrome web browser. I have NO problem printing wirelessly from my laptop with Word, etc. but whenever I try to print from the Google Chrome Browser, it says my printer has been offline for more than a week--even when it's on.

I tried deleting the printer from Google Cloud Print but it said that it couldn't connect with the network. 

I do keep my printer off unless I'm printing, but again, I have done this since I've bought it with no problems and I had no issues using the printer normally. It's just this dang Google Cloud Print. 

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? 

Thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Dan,

I had this problem last summer, and it became tolerable after Google worked on it.  I'm a fellow user so I've nothing to lose by telling you I'm not optimistic about Cloud Print actually fixing this.  It got better to the extent that you can "work around the problem" by going into the printer's menus and asking it to check in with Cloud Print.  This somehow re-establishes the link between the MX922 and the CloudPrint server.  Neither Canon nor Google assumed responsibility, but I think it had something to o with the printer going into some power saver mode, similar to hibernation.  I don't think there is any user control over this, so I'm only hypothesizing what's happening.  My wife and I were eventually able to print from the ChromeBook whenever necessary.  The process was to wake up the printer by pressing Menu, select Web Services, tell it to check in with Cloud Print, and then confirm that we want it to download the print job.  On the positive side, the Canon MX922 is a very nice machine, and as a wireless network printer it performs flawlessly.  It's just that Google's CloudPrint and Canon's printer don't play well together

In our case, the problem was permanently solved when the ChromeBook fell off a table and broke it's screen.  We are replacing it with a windows laptop.

-Jerry

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello. 

If the offline error persists but you are able to print within your local network, please check the network settings for your Android devices.  It may be possible that the devices are connected to a different network than the printer and your laptop that is able to print.

If you continue to have difficulties, please contact our support group using the link below for additional assistance.

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/contact_us_consumer

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I'll try that. Thanks. 

did you ever solve this? I have this same issue on two different MX892 (in different locations) and one MX922 and have been unable to have any of the three printers stay online google cloud print....

I ended up "disconnecting it" and then setting it up again. It works now but there are still moments when it's acting temperamental. 

Can you expand on 'disconnected'?  You mean kill Google Cloud registration and start over or something less drastic?

Thanks,

Similar problem here, MX922 works perfectly via WIFI from Win7 laptop, but on the Samsung Chromebook via CoudPrint I see "Printer is offline."  I have deleted the cloud registration and re-registered several times.  (that is, use the printer to request a registration code, plug that code into the browser URL box, read the confirmation, and press enter to confirm to the printer.   Each time the printer displays the message confirming the registration, but the Chromebook continues to report that the MX922 is offline.  Do we need to shutdown and reboot the printer or the device?  

This is a well-known problem with Google Cloud Print that is widely discussed in Google's own product forums. Unless your printer is specifically designed for it, Google Cloud Print is a hit or miss. It's easier and more reliable to send the file to your computer and print it when you get home. Or bring the file to Fedex is a USB drive. More secure, too.

Re: Google Cloud Print says my MX-922 is offline [ New ]

Can you expand on 'disconnected'?  You mean kill Google Cloud registration and start over or something less drastic?

Thanks,

Response:

Yes, that's what I meant. Ironically, it was working fine and then just started saying it was offline again. And I have been too lazy to reinstall it. Annoying. 

Canon-  has this been fixed?  I have an MX922 and have the same problem.

1) The printer is connected via Ethernet, and works fine for any computer on my home network.

2) A few months ago I added a Chromebook to the network, and so must use Google print.  I registered the printer on Google print; the Chromebook was then able to see the printer and print fine.

3) a few days later, trying to print from the Chromebook/Google print shows the printer as "offline", even if it is online and printing from another computer.  Re-registering it makes it work again.

4) This repeats indefinitely... the printer, after a day or two maybe, will disappear from the Chromebook and show only as "offline" even if it is awake and available to other computers on the network.

My router is set up correctly, I believe.  

-dan

Announcements