cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA G6020 unable to scan macOS Catalina

neurodruid
Apprentice

I just set up a PIXMA G6020 and am able to connect and print OK using AirPrint from my MacBook running macOS Catalina 10.15.2 (19C57). However, I am unable to access the scanner using either Image Capture or the IJ Scan Utlility Lite version 3.2.1.

• IJ Scan error:

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 10.46.37.png

• Image Capture error:

Screen Shot 2019-12-27 at 10.39.01.png

Any advice warmly welcomed.

6 REPLIES 6

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

neurodruid,

Check to make sure that your computer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the printer.  It may be possible that it is connected to a different Wi-Fi network.

If the issue persists, try the following adjustment to see if we can resolve the error:

1.  Click the Apple and choose System Preferences.  Then open the Printer and Scanners menu.
2.  Highlight and delete any copies of the Canon Printer listed on the left by clicking the minus (-) sign.
3.  Click the plus (+) sign and wait a few moments.  You should see a Bonjour option.  Select the Bonjour option and click the Add button at the bottom when it becomes available.

Once this has been done, try scanning to test the connection.

If the issue persists, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

@Michael wrote:

neurodruid,

Check to make sure that your computer is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as the printer.  It may be possible that it is connected to a different Wi-Fi network.

If the issue persists, try the following adjustment to see if we can resolve the error:

1.  Click the Apple and choose System Preferences.  Then open the Printer and Scanners menu.
2.  Highlight and delete any copies of the Canon Printer listed on the left by clicking the minus (-) sign.
3.  Click the plus (+) sign and wait a few moments.  You should see a Bonjour option.  Select the Bonjour option and click the Add button at the bottom when it becomes available.

Once this has been done, try scanning to test the connection.

If the issue persists, find more help at Contact Us.

This did not resolve the issue, and I have no intention of getting on a tech support phone queue for a new product just out of the box. I'll return it to my point of purchase.

For all.....

I recently upgraded to Big Sur from Catilina. The scan function issue on my G6020 never worked on either, using the IJ scan utility.

After weeks of on-again/off-again t/shooting with disgusting results I gave up.

My IMac would print ok to the G6020...but not scan using the IJ Scan Utility app..."could not connect"  was the error.

(Or approx error message)

I spent approx 6 hr's researching, reading forums & Q&A's to no avail.

I set my G6020 up for wireless & printer worked perfect...but no scanning was available.

Today I got "into it" to find the solution,....and I did.

A "USB" cable to a "square" printer cable is needed. Once I installed the cable, scanning worked perfectly & it scanned orders already waiting to be scanned. Wa-La...working friggin perfectly.

Nowhere in Canon's instructions did I find anything about this.

Wireless printing is feasible,....wireless scanning is not....!!!!

You have to have a USB to (square) printer cable for scanning.

Hopes this helps relieve some fustration....(Grrrr!)

Canon should be ashamed of causing such problems for so many people without a resolve on thier part.

Good luck.

Marty E.

Hello,

I was runing into the same issue on Big Sur with my G6020 printer.  Since the Getting Started guide only focuses on printing, I poked around a bit.  What I found that I needed to do to perform scans using my wireless setup was to go into System Preferences | Printers & Scanners, then select my printer.  Once I did that, in the right pane right above where it says Canon G6000 Series, there is a Print and a Scan tab.  If you click on the Scan tab, you will see an Open Scanner... button.  Clicking on it, a new window is opened where you should see it communicate with the scanner.  From this window, you can scan across your network successfully.  Not sure if there is another way, but this does work, and doesn't require you to be attached to the USB port on the printer to scan.  Hope this helps.

--

Richard

rlbecker
Apprentice
Adding to my findings. I’ve had 4 or five different canon inkjet printers over the years, the previous being a MG5420 which likely came with the non-Lite version of the IJ Scan Utility. The 6020 came with the Lite version. As soon as I removed the other versions so I was only left with the Lite version installed, wireless scanning using the IJ Scan Utility Lite worked great. At least that’s what seems to have fixed my issues. Good luck.

Richard

t-bag
Apprentice

For those who struggle with this, try disabling IPV6 under the LAN settings (yes LAN). 

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements