cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

nanciemd
Apprentice

I have tried resetting , power off, cleaned head.

Still errror message.

Printer in Over 2 years old.

Do I just need a new print head??

thank you!

100 REPLIES 100

Thank you, while I didn't use the Tom's Hardware method exactly, it's on the right track.

This is a power-surge / outage related issue, and performing a hard reset as detailed above should fix it. Alternatively do what I did and turn off the printer, remove the Windows software driver, then restart and reinstall the driver (with the printer turned back on of course).

Seven pages and Canon can't even pinpoint that this is essentially a software error.

Using a Canon MX922 and Windows 10.

franjayo
Apprentice

Same problem MX922

Gary568
Apprentice
I tried this and it didn't work. Soapmode, can you provide evidence indicating this to be a power outage / surge related issue please?

RuiLin
Apprentice

Me too. I have a Canon MX700. The error came on suddenly. One day, the printer was working fine. The next day, the "Type of print head in incorrect" popped up. I dismantled everything as the Support Note said. The error persists. Are my printer and spare ink cartridges now simply useless?

Pmarkwood
Apprentice
I have a MG5420 and just cleaned/reset the print head. Still received the error message. I haven’t used this printer in months. What gives?

peachiee
Apprentice

I receive this error on my Canon MG5670.

Have took out and put back the ink but still did not work.

Tried to switch off and on, but still does not work.

Do advise on how to resolve this error on my printer model.

Thank you!

gardenchick
Contributor

I also had this problem on my Pixma MG6220 which appears to be fairly common.  Unfortunately, with this error you are not able to use any other function (like scanning) as the error pops up as soon as you turn on the printer.  I did what all the forums and Canon support suggests.  I cleaned the printhead, reseated it, unplugged and replugged in the machine ... all to no avail as the error still came up.

I searched for a new printhead from Canon.  Don't get me started on how hard it is to navigate their website.  I couldn't find one there or on Amazon or almost any other site.  Figured I would have to buy a new printer as they seem to be throwaways after a while.  I really love this printer and it has not given me any problems up to this point.  Besides, I had quite an inventory of ink that of course wouldn't fit the new printers.  Canon does this on purpose I'm sure.

I finally found a brand new OEM printhead on Ebay for $30.  I decided to give it a try because I hear printheads can sometimes run around $130 and I was willing to take a chance on it for that amount.   It came in the mail and I popped it into the printer.  Voila, it worked!  The thing is printing like a boss and I couldn't be happier.  So before you throw away the printer, try replacing the printhead.

Mine says replace print head. I installed a new $400 print head only to achieve the same error message. Ive tried every tip give throughout this entire thread. 

Wow, where on earth did you find one for $400?  Isn't that more than the printer cost originally?  I found mine on ebay for $30.

Unfortunately, it may be that the communication between the control panel and the printhead may be compromised.  It may be time to look for a new printer.

this is a large 36" plotter for house plans
Announcements