Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

I have removed and replaced. I have removed washed with water and replaced. and I still get the same message.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

I have an MG5320. replaced printhead with brand new, genuine Canon QY6-0080 print head and message still comes up..."incorrect printhead"

HELP!

John

Product Expert

Hello.

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

I have also got same error message on a Pixma MG5550 - it suddenly appeared in the middle of print run.

Have tried re-starting printer.  I have removed and replaced print head (following 3rd party Youtube video) but to no avail.

Canon telephone support could not suggest anything else other than calling engineer (£££) of buying new printer.

Has anyone found any other solution?  My guess it is as small electrical contact problem or a software problem that is preventing the printer from recognising the print head.  It is very frustrating when otherwise the printer seems fine (and was happily printing when the error arose between sheets).

New Contributor

Followed all you said and think your final conclusion (poor electrical contact) is correct.

It worked for me, but as you say, for how long?

coughlan 

New Contributor

Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head."  Printer has been used several years with original print head. It has been cleaned. Error message persists. Help!

New Contributor

CANON MX920

New Contributor

3.  Lift up the gray locking lever on the side of the ink tank holder.

cant finf the gray locking lever...

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

My MX925 suddenly got the same error message yesterday, after successfully printing a 10x15 photo and trying to print a second one.

First original printhead was replaced with another original one a year ago (due to some weird double black lines printing).

With the new printhead which got this 1403 error, I tried all advices here, to no luck.

I put back the old printhead for testing only and it worked fine (except for the black thingy). No error at all.

Mounted back the new printhead, same error!

So it is something definitely wrong with the printhead contacts/chipset, not the motherboard or printer's frimware.

Now Canon, what can be wrong? What can suddenly change an original catridge into a different type/model to not be recognized nor accepted by the printer?

PS: Canon offers no warranty to new printheads, so I might have to buy a new one now. If that's the case, instead of a new printhead (3rd), I might go for a different brand (no HP anymore for me, so probably Lexmark is the last one to try).

I loved my MX925

New Contributor

My MX925 suddenly got the same error message yesterday, after successfully printing a 10x15 photo and trying to print a second one.

First original printhead was replaced with another original one a year ago (due to some weird double black lines printing).

With the new printhead which got this 1403 error, I tried all advices here, to no luck.

I put back the old printhead for testing only and it worked fine (except for the black thingy). No error at all.

Mounted back the new printhead, same error!

So it is something definitely wrong with the printhead contacts/chipset, not the motherboard or printer's frimware.

Now Canon, what can be wrong? What can suddenly change an original catridge into a different type/model to not be recognized nor accepted by the printer?

PS: Canon offers no warranty to new printheads, so I might have to buy a new one now. If that's the case, instead of a new printhead (3rd), I might go for a different brand (no HP anymore for me, so probably Lexmark is the last one to try).

I loved my MX925