cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

nanciemd
Apprentice

I have tried resetting , power off, cleaned head.

Still errror message.

Printer in Over 2 years old.

Do I just need a new print head??

thank you!

100 REPLIES 100

its also not very old. $6,000.00 for the whole setup so id prefer not to purchase a new one

Update on my printhead.  So it printed fine for a short time, then I noticed that the black seemed to be missing.  Colors printed fine.  After much more research, I found that the large black ink tank was the culprit.  I replaced it, but this did not fix the problem.  I read online that you have to trick the printer into using only the small black tank because the communication from the printer to the printhead is compromised and that large tank is useless.

Here's how to bypass the large black tank.  This will result in slower printing, but you can still print black and white.  Go into your printer's printing preferences.  Change the media type to Glossy Photo Paper and check the box at the bottom left that says "always print with current settings."  This tells the printer to use the small black ink tank for all printing.

I am afraid my printer is still on its way out.  Right now the control board only screws up with the large black tank.  Next time it might be one of the color ones.  I'm going to start shopping for another printer before this one goes completely bonkers.

Spoonermom
Apprentice
How about for a Canon MG5522? SAYS wrong printer head but I havent done anything to it

Check previous posts regarding this. You can try to replace the printhead, but I think these errors just mean that the control panel is failing to communicate properly with the printer and it is on its way out. I bought a new printer after problems kept arising after replacing the printhead.

I have a MG5750. After clearing a paper jam (which was quite tricky) I got this message although I hadn't changed the print head. It was working perfectly well a couple of minutes before. The suggestion of removing the ink tanks and releasing the grey catch didn't make much sense since neither side appeared to have such a thing (other than a sort of plastic bracket). I'm stuck!

Just wanted to leave some useful information to those who have this problem.  I have a TS 9020 and it had the "type of print head is ioncorrect" message.  I couldn't get rid of it no matter what I did.  Eventually I removed the cartridges and put it in printhead install position (holding stop until head moves to correct place).  Then I got a flashlight and examined the pins on the printer to see if something was stopping them from making contact.  I found that 1 pin was bent and also there was dust on the pin connection.  I was able to CAREFULLY straighten out the bent pin with a small plastic spudger from a cell phone repair kit. I brushed off the dust with a small soft bristled clean craft brush. After putting back the cartridges and closing the cover, the message went away and the printer has begun printing normally again!

mirrabucca
Apprentice

Canon MG7160. Similar printer error was Support code 1405 (incorrect print head).

I followed the suggestions offered here and everywhere else.

1: Opened front cover

2. Wait until the head assembly moves to the middle. 

3. Removed all the print cartridges.

4. Removed the power cable to power the printer off.

5. Moved the head assembly 1CM to the right.

6  Pulled back the head release lever.

7. Removed the print head.

8. Examined the contact surface (brass coloured). It looked clean.

9. Examined the pins inside the printer that the contact surface mates with. That looked clean also.

10. Cleaned the contact surface with iso-propyl alcohol and a lint-free cloth. It came up very dirty! All purple.

11. Cleaned the pins inside the printer. VERY carefully!. Examined them for any damage. All ok.

12. Re-inserted the print head, and while holding it towards the back of the printer, pushed the head locking bar back in.

13. Reassembled the rest of the removed parts, cartridges etc.

14. Tested. ALL OK!!

Prints ok now.

Thank you all!

matt6801
Apprentice

I have a Pixma MX922, lightly used but over 2 years old, that is showing this message.  Yes, I performed all of the obvious troubleshooting stuff (resetting the printer, cleaning contacts and replacing, and so forth).  I am an engineer with a extensive experience working with and designing large, complex instrumentation.

My impression from Canon's postings on this forum thread is that Canon's business model likely depends heavily on your local waste management services to meet its yearly profit targets.  This is still commonplace as with most other consumer technology products.  Despite a lot of lip service paid to environmental concerns, the expectation from the business owners is that you will put this relatively large hunk of plastic in the garbage to slowly degrade over the next million years and buy a complete replacement product every 2-4 years, even though there is absolutely nothing wrong with most of the parts (and particularly not with the plastic ones!).  Is there really that much new happening in printers in the 2020 decade and beyond that the consumer gains something by replacing them this freqently?  I don't think so.

There is an awful lot of inventory of equipment and goods to manage in today's household.  Having a house full of devices that need attention relatively frequently is a big waste of time when you add up the time spent over millions of printer consumers.

It is 2021.  A printer at this point should be like a hammer and should last at least 20 years.  Can Canon do us all a favor and finally provide a printer that is fit for the current era?  I'd like to see that!

About time our regulators started to act in the name of the people that they are supposed to work for.
Mandating the total recycling cost to be added to the cost of manufacture will not only help with recycling but will encourage owners to seek a better (cheaper) way to keep their devices, and get them repaired. The increased purchase price would support new businesses in the repair industry (like it was years ago).

jenniferr1
Apprentice

I've had my Canon PIXMA MP990 for a long time and this just happened.  I tried everything, brought it to Microcenter, they don't fix printers, but they sell them!  I called Canon, they no longer offer tech support for my printer (that's rubbish) and i removed everything, cleaned it all, replaced it etc and nothing is working.  I paid a lot of money for this printer and am in a jam now, because I can't print anything.  I also just purchased a ton of in cartridges and now must throw away the printer and all my cartridges?  Canon, this is EXTREMELY dissapointing!  Never buying another Canon product again.

Announcements