Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

Me too. I have a Canon MX700. The error came on suddenly. One day, the printer was working fine. The next day, the "Type of print head in incorrect" popped up. I dismantled everything as the Support Note said. The error persists. Are my printer and spare ink cartridges now simply useless?

New Contributor

Re: Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

I have a MG5420 and just cleaned/reset the print head. Still received the error message. I haven’t used this printer in months. What gives?
Highlighted
New Contributor

I receive this error on my Canon MG5670.

Have took out and put back the ink but still did not work.

Tried to switch off and on, but still does not work.

Do advise on how to resolve this error on my printer model.

Thank you!

New Contributor

Removed inks as suggested. Couldn't find the "Grey" lever as instructed. Where is it? I have a MX922

Product Expert

doc224,

Visit the following link for details about how to reseat the part.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART143853

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
New Contributor

Did as instructed and still received the error message. Do I need to purchase a new head? I Love the printer because I can print on DVD's and CD's. I bought a Canon PIXMA TR4520 to hold me over until I can get a new head for my MX922.

Thank you for you help in this matter. If there is anything else I can try before I purchase a new print head, let me know.

Doc

Product Expert

Hi doc224,

You can contact the Canon Parts department at 866-481-2569 Monday to Friday, 9:00am to 7:00pm Eastern Time to see if they have a print head for your MX922.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

New Contributor

I also had this problem on my Pixma MG6220 which appears to be fairly common.  Unfortunately, with this error you are not able to use any other function (like scanning) as the error pops up as soon as you turn on the printer.  I did what all the forums and Canon support suggests.  I cleaned the printhead, reseated it, unplugged and replugged in the machine ... all to no avail as the error still came up.

I searched for a new printhead from Canon.  Don't get me started on how hard it is to navigate their website.  I couldn't find one there or on Amazon or almost any other site.  Figured I would have to buy a new printer as they seem to be throwaways after a while.  I really love this printer and it has not given me any problems up to this point.  Besides, I had quite an inventory of ink that of course wouldn't fit the new printers.  Canon does this on purpose I'm sure.

I finally found a brand new OEM printhead on Ebay for $30.  I decided to give it a try because I hear printheads can sometimes run around $130 and I was willing to take a chance on it for that amount.   It came in the mail and I popped it into the printer.  Voila, it worked!  The thing is printing like a boss and I couldn't be happier.  So before you throw away the printer, try replacing the printhead.