Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

Same thing just happened to my MG5522 printer. Just cleaned the head with alcohol and still the same.
Highlighted
New Contributor

Re: Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

In my case it appears to have been a corrupt printer driver. Uninstall the print driver (download the latest) and re-install it.
New Contributor

Where do i go to do that?
New Contributor

Depends on your operating system. Google: uninstall printer driver win 10 or whatever operating system you have. Make sure your printer is turned off. Reboot your computer then turn on your printer. The driver should automatically load.

New Contributor

Canon Mx922
New Contributor

Hello,

I have the same problem on my printer which is Canon TS5020, but it didn't fixed when followed your process:

New Contributor

jJust had the same error on my MG5520 - incorrect print head.   After trying all the resetting of the print head, I found some information on Tom's Hardware involving an Epson Printer that had a start-up problem with a power surge.   The solution was to:

1. Disconnect power cords and USB / printer cords.

2. Hold the Power Button down, and then plug in the power cord to the outlet.

3. Release the Power Button and the printer will start up.

I used these instructions with my MG5520, and voila(!), the incorrect print head error disappeared and the printer returned to operation.

Don't know if there was a power surge issue initially.   However, after seeing how many users with the same error basically trash the printers...hopefully this will work for you.   Worked for me.

New Contributor

Thank you, while I didn't use the Tom's Hardware method exactly, it's on the right track.

This is a power-surge / outage related issue, and performing a hard reset as detailed above should fix it. Alternatively do what I did and turn off the printer, remove the Windows software driver, then restart and reinstall the driver (with the printer turned back on of course).

Seven pages and Canon can't even pinpoint that this is essentially a software error.

Using a Canon MX922 and Windows 10.

New Contributor

Same problem MX922

New Contributor

I tried this and it didn't work. Soapmode, can you provide evidence indicating this to be a power outage / surge related issue please?