Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Re: Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

MG5420

New Contributor

Re: Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

I had this problem about six months ago (Pixma MG5550), i tried re-seating the head and even tried the head of a friend that has the same printer as me and nothing worked.

What did work for me was playing with the white flat ribbon cable that connects the head to the main board. Nothing fancy, i just pulled it a bit to either side, just played with it a bit (gently of course, so i couldn't damage it) and guess what, as soon as i lowered the cover, the error went away and it has been working since then. I didn't disassemble the printer, just did it with the cover up.

Could it be that the problem that plagues everyone is actually a defective (or just making a bad connection) cable?

New Contributor

its an mx924
Highlighted
New Contributor

canon pixma 924

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

I have the same Problem!!!, Basically my printer is not even 2 years old, and I bought this one Canon Multifuction 926 thought it would last at least a good 5 years, my old canon lasted me 10 years before i changed it. This is bull**bleep** Canon !!! like what's going on with your printers mate !!! >< ....

My Canon MX926- stating that I need to insert the correct print head ..?? incorrect print head... how the **bleep** does that happen???

New Contributor

Thanks for that - after repeatedly fixing it, and as the problem instantly reoccurred I junked it. Bought a Hewlett Packard printer Which has been much more reliable & less prone to jamming.
New Contributor

Yea Exactly!! I'm switching to Brother or Hewlett Packard, I never had a problem with them in the past at all, and now im having all these issues with Canon which use to be top of the range, now they are just going downhill.... ><

New Contributor

I have/had 5 of these  printer/scanner model MP800.

Three were often used, one was backup and hardly used, one was kept in a box as a spare.

All always used with original canon ink.

It went well for many years, but the last 8 months all died with the same message: Type of print head  incorrect. the printer switches off and there is nothin9 to be done.

Even the new one, finally unboxed, died three months later with the same message.

Dont know whats happening, but it looks a bit like they are equiped, maybe unintentionally, with some preprogrammed "self  destruct".

Pity. They were ecellent printers, the new was was -well, new - and now they're all dead and I am left with a lot of inkcartridges.

New Contributor

Had the same problem on my trusty old MP610. Re-seated the ink heads, unplugged the power for 15 minutes, Switched back on and bingo! All good for a couple of prints then 'This type of print head is incorrrect...'
Unplugged the printer again then uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers. Plugged printer back in and now working like a charm for the last month or so.

New Contributor

I'm having the same issue with my pixma mg5420. I tried the instructions above however I don't have the green lever in which you spoke of. Please help