cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

nanciemd
Apprentice

I have tried resetting , power off, cleaned head.

Still errror message.

Printer in Over 2 years old.

Do I just need a new print head??

thank you!

100 REPLIES 100

I am having this same problem with my MX700. Realizing this post is very old I hope a fix is available. I love my printer and I love Canon products. If this problem still exist with current printers I will not buy another one. Please reply with a solution. I have already tried the suggestions already given to but they did not  work.

Thanks.

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Pe,

It is recommended that you contact live technical support . There is NO charge for this call. Real time feedback of a live technical support call would be very beneficial in this case.

Please dial 1-866-261-9362, Monday - Friday 10:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. ET (excluding holidays). A Canon technical support representative will be able to resolve this issue faster.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Pe,

I have a pixma MP560 and a similar problem. Error code UA 52 "incorrect printhead".

I should say this appears to be a very widespread Canon printer problem, and while I like my Pixma (have had it for many years) guidance to address the issue seems poor. I haven't seen clear advice on why the problem arises.

I appear to have fixed this for me, but am unsure how long the fix will last. 

I had a clogged ink problem on the printhead which didn't go by the regular cleaning routine and also an intermittant UA 52 error, which usually went by turning the printer on/off. In the end I had no choice but to properly clean the printhead, taking it out, washing etc. When I put it back in, the UA 52 code stayed on, therefore unable to print.

I am guessing the fault is really a contact problem due to the poor seating of the printhead in its socket. If you remove the printhead altogether, it should give you the appropriate error code for "for no printhead installed" as the printer is getting no signals from the printhead. I think it is saying "incorrect printhead" because it is getting signal from some of the contacts on the printhead, but not all. Therefore it thinks the printhead is not the right one.  (In Europe, we have bank cards with IC chips and the contacts on the card quite often need cleaning/wiping to avoid an error code when put in the card reader.)

The following are things I tried in order; no guarantees and it could make things worse. Would not do this unless your printer is out of warranty.

1. The first was to clean the conctacts on the printhead. Used a cue tip and some 90% alcohol and rubbed gently. Contacts must be dry before reinserting the printhead.

2. Tried to clean the contacts in the printer (those contacts that meet the contacts on the printhead). With the printhead out, I used a cuetip and alcohol to clean up the contacts. In the MP560 you have to look inside the printhead receptacle; a torch helps.

I should say that neither of the above things did the trick. I still had error code, but they may have helped.

3. The last thing I did was to play around with how the printhead goes into the receptable. My guess is that there is too much play in the printhead position and that taking out/putting back the printhead (Canon advice) does not always work, because it still goes back in the wrong position; contacts are not made.  What I did was to put the printhead back into the receptacle (the lever arm that keeps it in place has to be up) and before lowering the arm, I gently pushed the printhead back to meet the contacts in the printer, hoping it would make a series of better contacts. I then closed the arm hoping it would keep it in position.

Switched back on the printer and the code went. It is now printing okay. Am not sure for how long.

best.

Tribord

Followed all you said and think your final conclusion (poor electrical contact) is correct.

It worked for me, but as you say, for how long?

coughlan 

What do I havfe to do?  PIXMA MP500.  It is at least 5 years old.  

I have removed and replaced. I have removed washed with water and replaced. and I still get the same message.

CANON MX920

mx870

MG5420

its an mx924
Announcements