cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Message is saying "Type of print head in incorrect. Install correct print head

nanciemd
Apprentice

I have tried resetting , power off, cleaned head.

Still errror message.

Printer in Over 2 years old.

Do I just need a new print head??

thank you!

100 REPLIES 100

bman5118
Apprentice

Plz Help MG5420

Hi bman5118,

If removing and reseating the ink tanks and print head, as well as resetting the printer does not resolve the issue, the printer will require servicing.  Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Have the same kind of Canon printer- used very lightly for just over two years when this error occured.  I followed all the instructions from the service center, including removing and resetting the printhead multiple times but with no results.   When the print head is removed the error message STILL says its the wrong kind [instead of saying that there is no print head]   indicating that the computer after short usage has become unable to read and recognize the critical part of the machine.   To me this indicates shoddy workmanship.  Although it has many good features, this is clearly a defective product.

Humboles
Apprentice

Had the same problem with an MG6450 today. An error message on the priter's little screen reported the print head was incorrect. Checked on YouTube how to remove the head carriage, wiped it out, and now it's fine again!

deequinnett12
Apprentice

I did reseat the print head and also replaced all ink.....please I love my canon!

My trusty MP500 just started with error - I initially blamed windows 10.  Remove and reset hasn't worked.

Now, I suspect we are pretty much toast.  It is interesting that will all the complaints on the forum I saw no mention of the the class-action lawsuit that involved certain PIXMA inkjet print-head issues experienced by end-users, including the “U052” error code, which may have caused such printers to display the following error code message: “The type of print head is incorrect. Install the correct print head.”

When I stumbled across the lawsuit info, I knew I was screwed.   While I've had it for quite some time (and the MP500 provided me good service) it was extremely light duty service.

For grins, later this week I will try reconnecting the printer on an old dusty XP pc sitting in a closet or to the windows 7 laptop I'm currently rebuilding (Win 10 did toast the laptop... after 2 painless months I was suddenly unable to access any user login - it just flipped back to the welcome screen - but that's another strory.)

If the printer does start working again when I connect to an older OS I will post that result.  If I haven't posted good results within a week, I'm shopping for a new and different brand of photo printer - thank goodness I only have a couple cannon black inks in the draw. 

dupdegraff
Apprentice

I have an MX870 printer....just printed something less then an hour ago and now it is showing  the following:

U052

Print Head Incorrect

Install correct print head

I've had this printer for 6 years and LOVE it!! What can I do.

Please help!!!

Thank you

I tried the reseat the print head and that didn't work. Turned printer off then back on still didn't work!!

Has anyone ever replaced their Printer Head? What is everyones opinion ono that vs buying a new printer? Thanks for any and all assistance!!

dupdegraff,

Troubleshooting with our support group will be needed to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements