cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error Code and nonworking printer

Angel5
Apprentice

I have an MX490 that is about 2 years old.  I recently put new ink cartridges in, printed a few items and then haven't needed it for a couple weeks.  Today, when I did try to use it, it gave a Support Error Code B204.  So following instructions, I unplugged it and double checked that the ink cartridges were seated properly (they were).  When I plugged it back in, it no longer powers on.  Please tell me my printer didn't die!!!

Thanks for any and all help!

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

You can try the suggestions here.  I'm not sure I would invest in new inks though.  If these steps don't help, and your printer is out of warranty, you might be eligible for the canon upgrade program.

Pixma MX492 error code B204 - Canon Community

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10

~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8 ~CarePaks Are Worth It

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello Angel5,

The B204 error can be caused by a hardware issue but, it can also be caused by a problem with one of the print heads on your ink tanks. In this situation, You can try removing the ink and reloading it. If you still have the old tanks, you can try loading those into the printer to see if that clears the message. If it does, it would point to a problem with the new tanks.

We would be happy to assist further with the issue. To provide some feedback or some troubleshooting steps, we would need some additional information. If you could reply to this message with the information below, we can provide some assistance.

1. Did either of the tanks give you a low/empty error message before B204 came up?
  2. What does it show for the model number and the country the tank was made in when you check the label?
Announcements