cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color cartridges run out without any use

Gokturk
Apprentice

Hi, 

I have a Pixma 5751 printer which I almost only use for B&W document printing. Even though I use grayscale printing almost all the time, the color cartridges run out at the same time with the black ones (no exaggeration) So everytime the blacks run out, I also have to change the color cartridges too as their level also appears as empty. Is there any diagnostic test etc. I can perform myself before sending the printer to technical service? and also is there a kind of log that shows the ink usage of the  printer for the number of prints it has used in a certain period of time?

Thanks..

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Gokturk,

The PIXMA MG5751 will use color ink tanks to print colored text. Even if the grayscale option is checked in the printer driver, if the original text is in a color other than black, the PIXMA MG5751 will combine the cyan, magenta and yellow ink tanks together to make a composite black. This is why your color ink cartridges are still being used.

To use only the black ink tank, the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

Hi Gokturk,

There is a common misconception that "grayscale" is the same as "black-and-white."  While grayscale looks black, it uses color ink to simulate black.  Disabling grayscale will allow the printer to use black ink for text. 

Also, if you are printing less than once a week, I recommend turning the printer off.  The printer will perform a purge to refresh the printhead every 60 hours or so of disuse.  This process does consume ink that can then not be used for printing.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Gokturk,

The PIXMA MG5751 will use color ink tanks to print colored text. Even if the grayscale option is checked in the printer driver, if the original text is in a color other than black, the PIXMA MG5751 will combine the cyan, magenta and yellow ink tanks together to make a composite black. This is why your color ink cartridges are still being used.

To use only the black ink tank, the original text must be black and the paper setting must be set to Plain Paper.

Thanks  a lot for the explanation Patrick,

Is there anything I can do to save on the color cartridges? I wouldnt mind having a low quality black in my b&w document  prints.

Best regards.

Hi Gokturk,

There is a common misconception that "grayscale" is the same as "black-and-white."  While grayscale looks black, it uses color ink to simulate black.  Disabling grayscale will allow the printer to use black ink for text. 

Also, if you are printing less than once a week, I recommend turning the printer off.  The printer will perform a purge to refresh the printhead every 60 hours or so of disuse.  This process does consume ink that can then not be used for printing.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Thanks Bill

Announcements