JEK
Apprentice

Canon Pixma MP495 will not print

I replaced the black ink cartrige

Color cartrige is empty

21 REPLIES 21

Hi appleorchard1,

Let's perform a test of your printer:

1.  Ensure that the printer is powered on and the LED displays a 1.

2.  Open the paper output tray.

3.  Load a sheet Letter-sized plain paper in the Auto Sheet Feeder.

4.  Press the <Maintenance> button to display [A].  The Maintenance button is the button on the Operator's panel which has the wrench and screwdriver label above it.

5.  Press the Black Start button. The machine will print a nozzle check pattern.  Please compare the test page that you printed with the one below.

Does your test page match the eample provided?

MP495 Nozzle Check.jpg.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Geo3
Apprentice

I would appreciate the instructions on how to turn off the "color" cartridge temporarily. The printer is blinking indicating color is low. I need to print something out today (my closest store to buy cartridges is an hour round-trip.

Thank you for your help, Georgie

Hi Georgie! Welcome to The Canon Forums.

Our forum is designed for Canon owners to share solutions amongst each other, so if this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is a much more efficient way to get help! They're ready to help 24/7 via Email at http://bit.ly/EmailCanon or by phone at 1-800-OK-CANON (1-800-652-2666) weekdays between 10 AM and 10 PM ET (7 AM to 7 PM PT).

Hope this helps you return to printing again soon!

Thanks for the referral to the Canon site, it is much appreciated.

Georgie

Hi Georgie,

You can continue printing even with the color ink cartridge being low or out of ink by disabling the ink level detection function of the printer. To do this, please press and hold down the STOP/RESET or RESUME/CANCEL button on the printer for at least 7 seconds, then release it. If successful, you should be able to continue using the printer until you are able to replace the low/out of ink cartridge.

To set the printer to print using only the black ink cartridge, please follow these steps:

1. Go to your START MENU then select DEVICES AND PRINTERS.

2. Right-click over the icon for your printer and select the PRINTING PREFERENCES option.

3. Click on the MAINTENANCE tab at the top of the window, then click on the INK CARTRIDGE SETTINGS button. The Ink Cartridge Settings dialog box appears.

4. Select the BLACK ONLY cartridge to be used.

Important: When the following settings are specified, Black Only does not function because the machine uses the color FINE cartridge to print documents.

a. Other than Plain Paper, Envelope, Hagaki A, or Hagaki is selected for Media Type on the Main tab

b. Borderless is selected from the Page Layout list on the Page Setup tab

Also, please do not detach the any cartridges that are not in use. Printing cannot be performed while either cartridge is detached.  Please keep in mind that some programs and items printed from the internet do not allow for printing in black only; in these instances, the printer will attempt to use the color ink to print, even if the black ink cartridge is selected.

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you for the current information.  I live in a rural area and won't be driving into town until Thursday, at which time I can buy a new black cartridge (I've already got a new Color cartridge). I think that will take care of my problem if I follow your instructions correctly.

Thanks again,

Georgie

Hi I can print from excel or word but when I try to print off internet or email it gives me a save option only where print option usually is.

How can I fix this.

Thanks Breno

I followed the instructions above to use BLACK ONLY. Control Panel, Right click on printer icon, Click Preferences, but I do NOT see a Maintenance tab.

I'm using Windows 8.1 if that helps.
Thank you Kindly,
Barry

I now see the MAINTENANCE tab. Went through all the steps, and in the Cartridge window I pressed BLACK ONLY, then hit OK. Went to print a window opens to tell me that the printer will print on COLOR only. I print, and it did try to print in color.

Went back to settings and in the Cartridge window it is set to BLACK ONLY.

I turned the unit off, and tried it again. Then I unplugged it for about a minute, plugged it back in, turned on the printer, then tried to print a letter and the same thing happened.

I pressed the button to set it to its Default setting and tried it all again.

Windows 8.1

Thank you,
Barry

Hello.

Troubleshooting with our support group will have to be done to narrow down the cause of your issue. Please contact our support group using the "Contact Us" link below for additional assistance.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Find more help at Contact Us.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements