cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon TS8150 - No Draft print option in OS X?

DimClem
Apprentice

Hi All.

Just picked up a new printer for the home and was suprised to find the draft print option on my macbook is greyed out?

Draft is an available option on my W10 PC.

Using Normal the colours are far more saturated than the normal on my previous Canon printer so concerned I'll be using more ink than necessary for regular printing and would really like the option for draft printing

The printer is installed with airprint driver, only options available are Secure Airprint and Airprint.

Googled it and saw a similar thread on here which suggested installing a non airprint driver.

Installed using the setup app, but it just uses the airpint drivers?

Emailed Canon support and this is their response, which I don't accept given every printer I've EVER used has had a draft print option, including my PC...

Draft quality, draft view, or draft mode is a feature found on many older printers where they would lower print quality and saturation as a “test” version of a printed document.

The PIXMA TS8150 is a high-quality photography printer and doesn’t include a “draft mode”, which would be greyed out in the print dialog box with only “normal” and “best”  accessible.

Instead of a “draft mode”, the printer will use a specific PGBK (pigmented black) ink tank for lower quality or text printing and switch to the BK (keystone black, dye-based) ink tank for high quality photographic resolution.

To limit ink use and print quality you can select “normal” print quality and reduce resolution to the lowest value (usually 300dpi) for photo prints, but text documents would be set at a standard quality. 

Any ideas/Advice?

Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

juliannicole
Contributor

That's such a terrible response!!! So are they suggesting customers use two printers, one for regular document printing and one for high quality photos? First time in my lifetime of buying printers that I have not had a draft mode. Smiley Frustrated

No.

There are two black ink tanks. One is specifically for documents, and the other is for for photos. In older model printers, this wasn't the case, the colored ink was mixed to make black. 

If you have questions, you're welcome to reach out to support at 1-800-OK-CANON (800-652-2666) weekdays from 10am to 10pm (Eastern Time) for further clarificaiton. 

Gotcha, although in my last printer (Canon MG500 series) I had 2 black inks and still had a draft option. The reason why the draft option/fast option was nice was because you could quickly print a text document and not use up as much ink in the process. Is there a way with the TS series to save on ink usuage when printing a text only document? 

saurabh2248
Apprentice
I regret purchasing canon printer now, i"m facing this same issue and makes me really judge canon people, may be they want our printer"s cartridges empty asap.
have you found any solution yet ?

juliannicole
Contributor
I have not found a solution. I miss my old Pixma that wasn’t an ink hog and had this option. I’m searching for other brands now. The ink for this printer empties at a ridiculously fast rate and I also regret this purchase

Have you found a printer that prints in draft on OS Mojave yet pleaes?

Announcements