cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Printers Operability in Upcoming Mac OS Catalina

larryis1
Contributor

I have both a Canon MX870 and a Canon MG5620. I am using these printer via a wireless connection through a router to two current version Apple iMac computers.  They both work fine currently within Mac OS Mojave 14.6.  Any idea whether these two printer will continue to fully operate under upcoming soon to be released Mac OS Catalina?  Your assistance will be appreciated.  

Best regards, Larry

27 REPLIES 27

larryis1 - That screen shot you posted is very different than what I see. I do not see any printers listed on the left side and all the stuff on the right side does no appear on my system. 

I am curious, are your printers connected to the computer via USB cables? My printer is on our newtork, no USB cable. I wonder if that is a problem. I hope not, I don't want to go that route.

THanks, that was helpful.

Hi Hector,  Both of our printers are connected wirelessly to our Netgear Router.  Both of our Apple iMac computers and other computing devices are all hooked up to the same router either through Ethernet or wireless.

Suggestion...  Go to your Mac OS System Preferences, Printers, and delete your printer, and reinstall the printer.  If you are using your wireless network router, and the printer is set to wireless connection, Mac OS should see and recognize the printer over the network.  If you have already done this, forgive me for mentioning these steps.  Good luck.

Larry

My MG5725 appears as a Device under the shared section on the left pane of Image Capture as the prior post showed. It currently is showing the contents of the document I have on the scanner.

Are you now using Mac OS Catalina?

I have mentioned that I am not, and will not, until certain applications have been upgraded. AFAIK, the rollout has been a disaster. Do not mistake this to read into my comments that I am an expert on what to expect, it is just what I believe is the current state of the Canon software. As I also said, the printer and scanner drivers are all 64-bit, it is just the ancillary software that is still 32-bit. On that I base my statements.

Perhaps I will, now that the Scan and Network utilities have been updated for my Pixma MG 7520, as I can use my wife's old MBP that cannot even be upgraded to Mojave, much less Catalina, for the other 2 apps that are still (and probably will remain) 32 bit

Hello all,

My status is as follows. After I upgraded to Catalina, my Pixma MG5520 was working. It is on our home wi-fi, no USB cable involved. The printer worked and I feel I was not having any hardware issues. My problem was with the Canon IJ Scan Utility 2. It appears to be a 32 bit app and therefore will not run on Catalina. It needs to be a 64 bit app. I tried using Image Capture to scan, as someone suggested but did not get very far. 

Since I was having other issues in addition to not being able to scan, I decided to go back to Mac OS Mojave.

If anyone knows if there is a 64 bit version of the IJ Scan Utility please let me know where I can get it.

Thanks.

Hector

It is out there for the 7520. I would ASSUME it is out there for yours!

PWS442 - Where did you find a 64 bit version of IJ Scan Utility 2? I looked at the Canon web site but was not successful.

Thanks.

Announcements