cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Printers Operability in Upcoming Mac OS Catalina

larryis1
Contributor

I have both a Canon MX870 and a Canon MG5620. I am using these printer via a wireless connection through a router to two current version Apple iMac computers.  They both work fine currently within Mac OS Mojave 14.6.  Any idea whether these two printer will continue to fully operate under upcoming soon to be released Mac OS Catalina?  Your assistance will be appreciated.  

Best regards, Larry

27 REPLIES 27

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@larryis1 wrote:

I have both a Canon MX870 and a Canon MG5620. I am using these printer via a wireless connection through a router to two current version Apple iMac computers.  They both work fine currently within Mac OS Mojave 14.6.  Any idea whether these two printer will continue to fully operate under upcoming soon to be released Mac OS Catalina?  Your assistance will be appreciated.  

Best regards, Larry

Best to contact Canon.  They may or may not have an answer.

We can only speculate.

No drivers for MX870 in Mojave

Drivers for MG5620 released 9/2/2018 for Mojave.

My guess.  MX870, yes

MG5620, maybe

Hope it works out for you. 

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

pws442
Contributor

Looks like the MG series has printer/scanner drivers for 10.15 in the support area. HOWEVER, neither the IJ Scan Utility, nor the Image Garden (which is relatively worthless IMO) , nor any other of the ancillary pieces of software have 64-bit drivers. Therefore, you will not be able to initiate a scan from the panel, as I am led to believe. Smiley Frustrated

I have upgraded to Catalina and can verify the IJ Scan Utility will not run in this environment. This leaves me with 2 questions.

1. Is there a version of Scan Utility for Catalina?

2. If I buy a new Canon printer will I be able to scan documents running Catalina? How?

Thank you.

Hector Caroselli

Hector,

So were you able to print on the Canon MX870, as that was what my inquiry primarily focused upon?

@hcaroselli wrote:

I have upgraded to Catalina and can verify the IJ Scan Utility will not run in this environment. This leaves me with 2 questions.

1. Is there a version of Scan Utility for Catalina?

2. If I buy a new Canon printer will I be able to scan documents running Catalina? How?

Thank you.

Hector Caroselli

Printing SHOULD be fine. However, the question about "fully" function has opened this up to scanning from the printer as well. I believe the printing/scanning initiated from an Apple product upgraded to Catalina, but from the panel; I doubt it seriously. For this and other reasons, I will not be upgrading anytime soon.

Why can't you send scan job commands from Image Capture within Mac OS?  I have used image capture in OS Mojave and it works just fine.  Any reason to be Image Capture will be problematic within OS Catalina?

Larry

What we are trying to say is that we cannot INITIATE a scan from the panel, which requires the Utility. This 32 bit needs to go to 64 bits, which is supposed to happen this month. Certainly, the native Image Capture app will function.

I just looked at Image Capture very briefly. I don't see a way to scan; unless I first have to photgraph a document with my iPhone. I am not sure I know what you mean. FWIW the Canon IJ Scan Utility was very convenient. Put the document on the scanning bed of the printer, launch the utility and follow the instructions.

I am not opposed to buying a new printer, mine is pretty old, but if I buy a new printer I want to make sure I can scan with it.

Here is a screen shot of the Image Capture application window in Mac OS Mojave that interfaces totally with the scan ability on the two Canon Printers I have.ImageCapture_ScanWin.jpg

Announcements