cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PIXMA MG2420 Suddenly Died

STEVEVOLKANO
Apprentice

QUESTION: Is it normal for a 4-year old Canon MG 2420 printer to suddenly DIE?  It was working fine last week..But suddenly it wouldn't power on.  I tried disconnecting the power cord from both the printer and the electrical outlet for 10-15 minutes.  No sign of life... And it's just been sitting there DEAD for several days.  HOLY CRIPE!!  I was just going to toss it in the trash when the **bleep** thing suddenly turned ON!!!  And now it's working great again!  I'm not deleting this post yet.  it could be a message of hope to anyone whose printer appears to be dead:)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Is this behavior normal.  No.

Can we speculate why it happened, also no.  

Electronic devices that don't start normally when turned on do not usually "come back to life" but anything is possible it seems.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Is this behavior normal.  No.

Can we speculate why it happened, also no.  

Electronic devices that don't start normally when turned on do not usually "come back to life" but anything is possible it seems.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks, Rick, for your intelligent reply to my post. I'm an 87 year old geezer, and I've seen some weird things in my lifetime that can't be explained by conventional means. This physical universe it seems is but one of many dimensions that science is just now beginning to discover.

Jeffery22
Apprentice

The print head is most likely to blame. You should be able to clean it. If the print head is removable, I'd look up how to clean it. If that doesn't fit, you can usually find a new one on ebay or elsewhere. That's how I resolved a similar issue with my Canon Pixma Pro 100. The printheads are located on the ink cartridges and are not part of the machine. It's very likely that the cartridges are defective, particularly if they're refills. Cleaning them manually could be a good idea. If you can't see a significant change, even if it doesn't completely fix the issue, the next step could be to get new cartridges.

Announcements