cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Printer Pixma TR8520 Offline everyday

Slim
Apprentice

I am having trouble the last few weeks with my printer going offline everyday.  My IT technician has spent hours trying to get it back online.  He has replaced the printer cord twice.  We have done it both via a cord and wireless and we cannot get it to stay online.  I might print and the later it is offline again.  I am not sure what is going on, but I cannot keep the printer if with this issues.  I have googled it and try so many options that other people tried and nothing works.  The IT person has reinstalled the driver several times over several days and many times in the same day.  What is happening that it is not working any more?  The IT person has contacted Canon, but they have not been any help.  I see a lot of people having the same issue.  Is this a bad printer?  Help, why cannot get it back and online and have it stay?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Slim,

What may be happening is that when your PIXMA TR8520 goes into sleep mode, your router loses connection with it.  Please try disabling sleep mode:

1,  Tap the gear icon at the bottom of the display of your TR8520.

2.  Tap Settings.

3.  Tap ECO.

4.  Tap Energy saving settings.

5.  Tap Next.

6.  Tap Auto power off and select Never.

7.  Tap Auto power on and select ON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi Slim,

What may be happening is that when your PIXMA TR8520 goes into sleep mode, your router loses connection with it.  Please try disabling sleep mode:

1,  Tap the gear icon at the bottom of the display of your TR8520.

2.  Tap Settings.

3.  Tap ECO.

4.  Tap Energy saving settings.

5.  Tap Next.

6.  Tap Auto power off and select Never.

7.  Tap Auto power on and select ON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

rad3
Apprentice

Well, I was having the same problem and so far Patrick's suggestion seems to have fixed it for me!

Hello,

I have TR8520 and it is doing the same thing. Patrick's solution is not working for me. I have to walk over to the printer and power it off (which is not instant, I have to wait), then power it back on (and wait again) for it to be available and online.  I really hate this.  

Hi,

You can try disabling the IPv6 setting on the printer. Please click HERE for the steps. 

Hello Arthur J,

I have disabled the IPv6 on the TR8520 and the problem did not go away.  Even though, I have the printer configured "never" to sleep, it still goes to sleep and goes offline.  I still have to physically walk over to the printer and power it off and then power it back on to get it to come back online.

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

The two most obvious reason for a printer losing connectivity and going offline have been pointed out.

a) printer goes to sleep or low power state

b) network issue, printer stops communicating with network

The first item is self explanatory.  If the printer is not on or in sleep mode it will not accept print jobs

The second item can have more than one cause.  Some networking hardware is not as robust as others.  How they manage IP addreses and assignments.  A device configured for DHCP should periodically communicate with the router or access point in order for the network to believe it is still connected.  If not, the IP which has been leased to the device might be "recovered' and returned to the pool of addresses the router or access point uses for DHCP address assignment.  Subsequent print jobs sent to a device the network is not aware of will result in a failure.

Its typically a good idea to assign persistent devices (like printers, computers, network attached storage, gaming consoles, etc) a static or reserved IP address.  These are not "visiting" devices that show up one day, connect, then leave and may not return or reappear again until the next time they connect. 

DHCP and leased IP's work great for these types of devices.  This scheme doesn't work as well for devices which are persistent.  Devices which never leave, but that might get turned off and on again with long periods of inactivity or use.  Part of this depends on the type of network, other times it depends on how a network is configured or told to handle IP address assignment.  

By assigning a static or reserved IP, it tells your router or AP not to give the IP address that it assigned to the device to another device when a connection request is made.  This only needs to be done once.  Moving forward the reserved or static IP (destination) will never be assigned to another device.  It ensures the "destination" IP does not change.  Even if the device goes to sleep, or is turned off for an extended period.

Set up is performed on your router or AP (once) and remains in effect until you change it.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

The printer does have a static IP address set up for it.  The IP address has never changed.

Announcements