cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Printer/Fax Optional Update on Windows 8.1

Edimerq
Contributor

Hi,

Why does Windows Updates gives me the same Canon Printer/Fax as an Optional Update every day?

When I bought my laptop with Windows 8, I downloaded an all in one wireless Cannon printer. Now, after I updated to Windows 8.1 I keep getting this Optional Update:  Download-Cannon-Printer Update MX430 series Fax

I didn’t pay much attention at first, but then I decided to go ahead and download it. I noticed that every time I got new Windows Updates, the Cannon printer/fax update was there again, as Optional. I thought they were new ones every time. I got curious why I was getting so many updates for my printer, and started to check them more carefully. I found out that the update was the same one every time, and even after I installed it every time, it comes back every day.

This is what I get:

On the Left column of Windows Update page:

Optional update

Download-Cannon-Printer update MX430 series Fax

On the column at the right, this is what I see:

Canon printers Canon MX430 series Fax

Canon Printers software update released in June 2012

You may need to restart your PC after installing this update

Published 12/21/2012

Update ready to download

There are 2 more entries for more information

More information: When I click here, it opens to a web site that says “Information is coming soon”

Support information: When I click here, it opens to the general Support page

Way at the bottom on this page there is a place that says: Install. That is where I click to update

After I install the update and restart the computer, the updates window says: “ No updates available”

But if I leave the page, and come back again, the update is back there to download again.

I sent this question MS. This is what they said:

This may happen if the update isn’t installed correctly the first time, or if your Windows Update settings can't detect the update. The update probably is failing either because it's not applicable or it's an older driver than the one you have.

You may also want to check your update history to see whether there are any error messages.

You may run the Windows Update troubleshooter. Refer the following link.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Open-the-Windows-Update-troubleshooter

Also, reset Windows update components and then check if it helps.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Back-up-the-registry

As it is an optional update, you may hide the update (right click the update and click Hide) and then check the manufacturer's site to see if there are any updates to your printer.

Contact Canon

I did everything they said, except reset windows (I don’t dare to touch that registry area)

The upate shows downloaded in Update History, but not on Downloaded Updates (Windows 8.1, Windows Updates)

The trouble shooter said it found a couple of errors and that they had fixed that, but the problem persists:

I know I can hide it, but I want it to go away.

This shows the trouble shooter, and my downloads every day for the same update

Windows Updates.jpg

1.jpg

I use a Toshiba Satellite P845t-S4305 Lap top, Windows 8.1, IE 11, AV Webroot, Canon Pixma wireless all in one printer MX430

Any idea anybody?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

I don't know about your problem, but in W7 you can hide an update so it doesn't show; right-click the update on the page where you select updates..

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Yes, you can hide it in Windows 8.1 too, but I want to know why, does it keep coming back. It is like the update is not being recognized by the computer, but every time I install it, it says the download was successful.

I was also wondering why was my post moved to a different place. I am sure I had put it in Personal Printers, but I couldn't find it there. Now it is in Printer Multifunction Support. Just want to know if I had in the wrong place, so I don't do that next time..

Thanks

Announcements