cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma MX922 heads out of alignment even after multiple align jobs

conticreative
Contributor

My Canon Pixma MX922 is now perpetually out of alignment. I have cleaned heads, put in new ink wells, tried a number of things from both the forum and the manual,m but whenever I print even simple text in B&W I get a regular, low quality print and then a shadow of the text offset by a millimiter or so.

Additionally, when I try printing shipping labels, the Bar code is illegible and it's weavy. In fact, all straight horizontal lines are weavy. 

I don't know what caused this. Or at least I cannot reconstruct it since my wife has been using the printer (I usually read on my iPad) and we didn't use it for so long that once I had to change all the ink wells. I can't remember if it worked this poorly before that event or after but now my wife needs to print a lot of shiopping labels and clearly it's not up to the task.

It's there anything I can do short of buying a new printer? 

Thank you.

Shipping label

6 REPLIES 6

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetingfs,

Nozzle test pattern

Cleaning operation

and/or this:

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART142447

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thank you. I have already tried the  Nozzle test pattern and the Cleaning operation. Multiple times, in fact. I even changed all the ink despite the fact they were new (but sat in the printer, unused for a long time.

However, I have not tried the cleaning strip procedure, so I am going to try that.

Out of curiosity, do they still make regular printers without a scanner and all the other bells and wistles? My 922 works great as a scanner still, if I cannot fix it by cleaning the strip, I was thinking of just getting a small printer instead. Any ideas?

Hi conticreative,

Did cleaning the encoder/timing strip resolve the print quality issue that you were experiencing?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Cleaning the decoder strip did not resolve the problem on my Pixma MX922.  Is there a way to clean whatever is reading the decoder strip?  

Hi okeefemike,

Because cleaning the encoder did not cause the printing to improve, your PIXMA MX922 would require service.  If your PIXMA MX922 was purchased less than a year ago, please contact one of Canon's Technical Support Representatives via phone or chat to obtain your in warranty options. To contact a Technical Support Representative, please use the link below:

https://mycanon.usa.canon.com

If your PIXMA MX922 is out of warranty, you are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program. This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system. This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 Monday through Saturday, 9am to 9pm. Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Patrick, I applied a different solution which was offered by a community member.  I changed the paper type from "Plain" to "High Resolution Paper" in the printer properties, under preferences.  This has cured the problem with the shadowing and wavy lines.  Since I print mainly from Spreadsheets and Documents my problems are fixed, with the exception that duplex printing isn't available for this paper type.  Regards, Mike  

Announcements