cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma MX700 - several error codes

pmspinks
Apprentice

My Canon MX700 printer is rapidly failing, having been in perfect working order two days ago. Can anyone suggest what might be wrong, and how to fix it? It's a few years old, but has only ever had to cope with light workloads.

Two days ago I began encountering "The ink absorber becomes almost full" messages. I could press OK and printing would continue.

Then printing was interrupted by "Cover is open" errors which cleared themselves. Exerting light pressure on the lid appeared to stop the problem returning.

Then it produced errors saying "The following ink tank cannot be recognized". Several tanks were affected, but after re-seating them all several times, only the black tank is affected. It's part-used and caused no problems before. Replacing it didn't help. I can seat it so that the red light comes on (to confirm it's been recognised) but when I close the lid, the tanks move sideways, the red light goes out, and the error message returns. Pressing OK will never clear this.

And while attempting to solve these problems just now, I'm seeing occasional "Error code 5100" messages (An error occurred in the carriage encoder signal).

Current status is that I cannot print anything as the black ink tank is not recognised. Powering on/off doesn't help. I have various MX700 specific manuals, and I've tried the procedures to set and reset the "Ink absorber counter", but to no avail. Nothing in the manuals helps me to understand what is going on, or if there is a common cause for the various faults (I suspect there is). I'm wondering if a reset to factory settings might help, and how I might do that. Thanks in advance for any thoughts or opinions on what might be wrong, or fixes I can try.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi pmspinks,

It would appear that your PIXMA MX700 would require service.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi pmspinks,

It would appear that your PIXMA MX700 would require service.

You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Patrick, Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the Upgrade Program.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements