cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Pixma MG 7120 printng problem

WGrebe1967
Contributor

My Pixma 7120 has developed an annoying printing problem (especially when trying to print pages from my desktop computer). I receive a message indciating there is no paper in the tray (or sometimes a message indicating there is a paper jam)  even thought tray is full(and there is no jam). After several attempts I can eventaully print

I uninstalled and reinstalled the printer and also cleaned the rollers but problem persists.

Any suggestions on how to solve this issue (or do I need a new printer) ?

5 REPLIES 5

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

This is one of those situations that is not easily solveable over the internet. 

There are so many possible causes or reasons for these errors. 

-Corner piece of a page left in the printer from a misfeed or previous jam. 

-Dirty contacts or rollers

-Malfunctioning sensor

-Choosing the incorrect paper type or default paper tray

These are some examples of why the error you are receiving can occur.

Sometimes removing the paper trays and inspecting with a flashlight helps you see an obstruction.  Paper is dirty, its a mass produced product and depending on brand and quality can be dusty or pulpy.  Over time, this can build up on the paper feeding components inside the device. 

This dust can also build up and keep sensors from working correctly.  Some sensor can also fail.  Door on the feed tray is closed, or the tray is fully loaded and inserted shows as open or empty.

I've also seen situations where someone unknownly changes or sets the default tray for something other than what the printer is expecting.  This can result in no print or out of paper messages.  

A flashlight and canned air are sometimes helpful.  If you have recently switched paper brands, try a reem from another vendor or office supply.

Hope you can figure it out.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I have cleaned the rollers, checked for paper jam and have not changed paper and/or printer settings. Maybe malfunctioning sensor is the problem (in which case I assume I need a new printer)

Other suggestions are still welcome!

BTW I should mention this problem has been occurring for a few weeks but in the last few days has become worse. Sometimes(but not always) I can print fom my iPad (wireless) so maybe there is a communication problem between the printer and my desktop computer (?)

Greetings,

As I said, this is hard to solve remotely.  A reported paper jam doesn't usually indicate a communications problem with the device.  A tray empty error is usually just that.  No paper being detected in the tray or input method the printer is expecting to use paper from.  Typically caused by a faulty sensor, the paper or tray not being loaded / inserted correctly or a setting the driver telling the printer to use an alternate paper source. 

If you do not believe there is a physical reason for the errors, then reinstaling the printer might help.

Windows or MAC, you'll want to download the latest drivers from your OS from this webpapge:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/inkjet-multifunction/mg-s...

Best to remove the printer, then uninstall its driver and supported applications if newer versions exist.  Now restart your system and reinstall.  

Good Luck Again.     

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

As I  mentioned in my original post, I already uninstalled then reinstalled the printer. Drivers are up to date. Problem occurs when trying to print from desktop PC . Usaully I can print wirelessly from my iPad . Tray is full of clean paper so that is not the issue.

I will try one more time to uninstall/reinsatll .

I still wonder if there is some setting on my PC that causes the error

Install/uninstall did not solve the printing problem

However I checked  various settings on my printer and noticed that the WiFi access point was not my home network . A new neighbor moved next door about a month ago (which  is about when my problems began) and apparently for some reason my printer picked up her access point. Not sure why this would cause messages about no paper in tray but regardless for the time being the printer seems to be working properly

Announcements