cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PIXMA TR7520. It goes offline so I can't print.

nkm54
Apprentice

I just bought the Canon PIXMA TR7520.  I hate it.  Whenever I want to print from my computer, I select print but the Canon doesn't print.  I have to turn on the printer, select print, select cloud, and then maybe, MAYBE it will print.  I can't figure out how to keep the printer online so it will automatically print when I send something to the printer.  HELP!!!

4 REPLIES 4

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Please start by telling us how the printer is connected and to what device?  Also if your "computer" is PC or MAC

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

I am trying to print using WiFi (in my house).  I have a PC.

If I turn on the printer and hit print it will print (sometimes).  But the printer turns off when not in use.  

Greetings,

This is whats happening.

When you connect the printer to Wi-Fi and install it to your computer, the router assigns an IP address and the computer uses this IP to communicate with the printer.  

Nw the printer goes to sleep, gets turned off, or doesn't get used for a period of time.  The router doesn't "hear' from the printer and assumes it is no longer present.  It reclaims the IP address it assigned and puts it back in its DHCP pool of avaialble IPs.

Now you try to print.  The computer tries to use the IP it believes is assigned to the printer...  but this might not be correct.

So you power cycle the printer, if no other wireless devices have connected and taken the address previously assugned, the same IP is used, and you can print...  until the next time.

How to resolve, 2 ways:

On the router:

Reserve an IP for the printer by its MAC address

or

On the printer:

Assign the printer a static IP address.

Result;

The printer will always use the same IP address, your computer or any other device on your network will always know how to communicate with the printer.  It can alsways be found at its static or reserved destination (IP address).

This only has to be done once.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick - FIrst of all, thank you for your reply.  I have no doubt what you are telling me is the way to resolve the issue.

The problem is... you assume I know how to assign an IP address to the printer. (I don't).

I do know what an IP address is...

My opinion is that a printer in 2021 should be much more user-friendly than this Canon.  My 5-year-old Epson was easier to set up and didn't go off-line like this Canon.

I'm returning this printer.   I am replacing it with an HP.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements