cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PIXMA MX870 - Scanner not working after Mac OS High Sierra Update

rexus31
Contributor

Hello, I'm hoping someone can assist.

I recently upgratded the OS on my iMac to mac OS High Sierra Version 10.13.1.  I've noticed the scanner function on my MX870 (connected via wireless) will not operate.  When I click on Scan/Import photos or documents in the Canon Solutions Menu, I see the scanner icon bouncing in the tool bar at the bottom, then it disappears and I get the folowing error message:

MP Navigator EX quit unexpectedly.

Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

I'm not sure if this helps, but this is the first section of the report the system sends to Apple when the issue is encountered:

Process: MP Navigator EX 3.1 [3067]
Path: /Applications/Canon Utilities/MP Navigator EX 3.1.app/Contents/MacOS/MP Navigator EX 3.1
Identifier: jp.co.canon.bj.printer.app.MPNEX310
Version: Version 3.1.0 (3.1.0)
Build Info: MP Navigator EX 3.1-1~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: MP Navigator EX 3.1 [3067]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2017-11-15 07:39:45.325 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.1 (17B48)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: A53C885F-95A1-3111-2313-9C7D531A0D71

What I've tried so far:

- Serached the Canon website for updated drivers or firmware but it says everything is up to date

- Powered the unit off/on

- Unplugged the unti for a minute, plugged it back in

32 REPLIES 32

James_C

Hi rexus31 

At this time Canon has not released Mac OSX 10.13 drivers for the PIXMA MX870.  All updated Drivers will be posted to Canon website at www.usa.canon.com as soon as they become available. Currently, we do not have any information as to when or if these drivers will be available. 

10.13 uses Airprint, any unit that is Airprint compatible can print as long as you are connected wireless  Note: Airprint does not support scanning.

If you continue to have difficulties or need further assistance, please contact our support group using the following link:

http://Canon.us/ContactLI

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

So what is my solutiuon?  Purchase a newer printer/scanner?  In browsing through this forum, it appears other Mac users are in the same boat. 

Im in Australia.   I have MX870, I installed Sierra High Update, noticed a few days after than I could not scan.  I am sure I could print okay, but I have 2 multifunction centres attached to my Mac and I have no set pattern for which one I use.    I was on a deadline to scan and send an email  .  I phoned Canon in the Phillipines  (Canon Support for Australia) and they said there were no updated drivers. This was at 17 November 2017.   The only thing I could do was get Mac to talk me through downgrading to first version of Sierra.  Luckily I had backups with timemachine -  I went back to first version of Sierra.  The only thing I did not realise is that when you use timemachine, it can take a long time for your Mac to get the info, in my case, it was 4 hours which was about 250 gb of hard drive.

So about 8 hours wasted in all.   

Dont know whether Canon will update drivers, probably trying to force you to update to another one of their machines..

I love the MX870 for scanning!!!! and machine is a few years old, but I will keep it until it dies, despite me having a 2nd office led printer/scanner.   24 November 2017  - 

Just had a very helpful session with the Canon administrator. He walked me through re-installing software from OS 10.11 and the scanner is working again. He recommended folks call Canon assistance with this.

Thank you for this!  This worked for me.  I dragged the old MP Navigator installation to the trash.  I redownloaded the version for 10.11 and reinstalled it, and I am back up and scanning. 

Similarly, I had the same issue with the MX870 scanner.

When I attempted to scan documents from my Canon MX870 using a MacBook (High Sierra 10.13.2), I received the following error message "MP Navigator EX quit unexpectedly".

As recommended by an earlier contributor, I successfully began using Image Capture (default program for Mac). However, this was not as useful as MP Navigator EX.

Subsequently, I dragged MP Navigator EX to the Trash and reinstalled MP Navigator EX for 10.11.

MP Navigator EX is now working for me on 10.13.

Hope this information helps someone else.

My Solution was to reinstall the Canon IJ Network Tool. Before then, the scanner only worked sporadically: I had to constantly restart it to secure the wifi connection.

Canon, please update your drivers!

Thanks j_leslie for this solution; I got my Canon PIXMA MX870 printer working again!!!

Cheers.

Hi

How you made it possible ? Did you get the new driver update for High Sierra ? or you used the process that I had explained ? If you have the link to the new driver update, please do share with me.

thanks. Badri

Announcements