cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PIXMA MX870 - Scanner not working after Mac OS High Sierra Update

rexus31
Contributor

Hello, I'm hoping someone can assist.

I recently upgratded the OS on my iMac to mac OS High Sierra Version 10.13.1.  I've noticed the scanner function on my MX870 (connected via wireless) will not operate.  When I click on Scan/Import photos or documents in the Canon Solutions Menu, I see the scanner icon bouncing in the tool bar at the bottom, then it disappears and I get the folowing error message:

MP Navigator EX quit unexpectedly.

Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

I'm not sure if this helps, but this is the first section of the report the system sends to Apple when the issue is encountered:

Process: MP Navigator EX 3.1 [3067]
Path: /Applications/Canon Utilities/MP Navigator EX 3.1.app/Contents/MacOS/MP Navigator EX 3.1
Identifier: jp.co.canon.bj.printer.app.MPNEX310
Version: Version 3.1.0 (3.1.0)
Build Info: MP Navigator EX 3.1-1~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: MP Navigator EX 3.1 [3067]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2017-11-15 07:39:45.325 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.1 (17B48)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: A53C885F-95A1-3111-2313-9C7D531A0D71

What I've tried so far:

- Serached the Canon website for updated drivers or firmware but it says everything is up to date

- Powered the unit off/on

- Unplugged the unti for a minute, plugged it back in

32 REPLIES 32

plc1959
Apprentice

I have the CanoScan LiDE700F and this is the second Canon scanner that has become worthless when we can no longer get Canon driver updates.  

I did use PDFScanner, which may be an app that comes on the Mac that I could use to do some basic scanning.

djmthomas
Apprentice

I have had the same problem with an MG8120B - priniter works but scanner does not.

StephanTheFirst
Apprentice

Same problem here. Solved by using scanner functionality in System Preferences/Printers & Scanners/Scan. Not as easy to use as the Solution Menu, but it does the trick

Thank you SO much! This WORKED!

Would be grateful if would post the link for downloading the 10.11 driver. MacLove seems to have received it but I cannot find it.

This worked fine. Thanks for suggesting it.

Note that the Settings/Printers & Scanner lists the Canon MX870 as a scanner. 

It has a check box for using the Document Feeder, otherwise it just scans from the sheet in the scanner window.

pasajero
Apprentice

Ihave an iMac using Mac OS10.13.2 High Sierra. I had the same problem with MP Navigator quitting. However you can still scan using Mac software. Go apple/System Preferences/Printers & Scanners and click on Canon MX870 series. This brings up a scanner window which works for me.

Thanks passajero, Your solution works also with my Pixma MG 6100 series.

mmcqueen72
Apprentice

I am experiencing the same problem. Unable to print or scan with the Canon MX870. This printer was a work horse! Canon could have at least warned their customers they will no longer support this model for MacOSX development. Instead they left their loyal supporters of their products in the dark.

Most people would have bought new printers during the black Friday holiday sale (Nov. 2017) had we known. Amazon had a plethora of new printers (Canon and others for ridiculously cheap prices). HighSierra was released at the end of September and it is February 4th, 2018 and still no mention of what is going to happen regarding the MX870 driver.

I am really disappointed in Canon customer service. Just be honest guys! Do not keep us waiting in the dark. If you are going to write the driver and share it please do so. If not, just say this model printer is slated to be decommissioned from future support and be done with it. Communication with your loyal customer base is key to keeping your customers.

Keep the thread going and I hope more people add to it so Canon can just give us a straight answer. Thanks everyone.

pixmamx870.jpg

SMM
Apprentice

Same problem for me. I'm running High Sierra 10.13.3.  The Canon driver for 10.11 doesn't work for me.

Announcements