cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PIXMA MX870 - Scanner not working after Mac OS High Sierra Update

rexus31
Contributor

Hello, I'm hoping someone can assist.

I recently upgratded the OS on my iMac to mac OS High Sierra Version 10.13.1.  I've noticed the scanner function on my MX870 (connected via wireless) will not operate.  When I click on Scan/Import photos or documents in the Canon Solutions Menu, I see the scanner icon bouncing in the tool bar at the bottom, then it disappears and I get the folowing error message:

MP Navigator EX quit unexpectedly.

Click Reopen to open the application again. Click Report to see more detailed information and send a report to Apple.

I'm not sure if this helps, but this is the first section of the report the system sends to Apple when the issue is encountered:

Process: MP Navigator EX 3.1 [3067]
Path: /Applications/Canon Utilities/MP Navigator EX 3.1.app/Contents/MacOS/MP Navigator EX 3.1
Identifier: jp.co.canon.bj.printer.app.MPNEX310
Version: Version 3.1.0 (3.1.0)
Build Info: MP Navigator EX 3.1-1~1
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: ??? [1]
Responsible: MP Navigator EX 3.1 [3067]
User ID: 501

Date/Time: 2017-11-15 07:39:45.325 -0800
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.13.1 (17B48)
Report Version: 12
Anonymous UUID: A53C885F-95A1-3111-2313-9C7D531A0D71

What I've tried so far:

- Serached the Canon website for updated drivers or firmware but it says everything is up to date

- Powered the unit off/on

- Unplugged the unti for a minute, plugged it back in

32 REPLIES 32

Hi

I am struggling to find a way to make the scanner work with my Mac OS running High Sierra (10.13.4). 

You mentioned you reinstalled MP Navigator EX for 10.11. After this your scanner is working perfectly well for High Sierra (10.13.4) ? If so, pls guide me where to find MP Navigator EX for 10.11 from Canaon support site ? What version of scanner driver you downloaded ? Pls provide me where to get that version so that I can install and try to make the scanner work. 

Hope to hear.

Badri

Can you help us by posting the link for downloading the 10.11 driver? I am on Cannon website and can't find it... If this works I will be overjoyed! Can't afford to buy a new printer/scanner and I use the MX870 every day! Thanks!

Hi

Can you explain this pls ? for MX870 to work properly under macOS High Sierra, you just removed the old MP Navigator Ex (3.1) from your system and reinstalled the same version and it worked perfectly well ? Are you able to scan with the document from your backbookpro ?

I am using MBP running HighSierra 10.13.3 and after updating to Sierra, the MP Navigatore Ex (3.1) does not scan the document since it requires a scanning driver. I am unable to fix this. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Badri

hi, could you please tell me how to do this? I've spent most of today trying to fix my scanner and it's driving me bonkers. i stupidly upgraded my mac software last night...grrrr....

It's very simple and here's the process:

1. Canon PIXMA MX870 should be connected to your HiFi network

2. Also ensure your iPhone is also connected to the same network

3. Search for "CANON PRINT' app on the App Store, download and install it on your iPhone

4. Once you initiate the App, it would recognise your printer. Just pace a document and scan.

5. Ofcourse you can change the settings on your App to scann it in color or in greayscale

6. After scanning you can either save or email as pdf or jpg document

If you are using Anrod phone, I suppose the same process works for Anroid as long as the "Canon Print" app is available on the Google Store.

Hope this helps. Let me know. Regards: Badri

Hi 

I face the same issue. Spent a lot of time in trying to solve the problem, but you can't without the driver from Canon and it looks like that Canon Inc is not interested in supporting the customers.

I managed to use my iphone loaded with Canon App and using wifi connected to Pixma MX870 and scanned several documents and emailed them to my id. Only issue is that I have very limited options (color/gray scale and page size). I can't really edit the document. However this took a lot of time and I was able to solve my issue on hand since I had over 100 documents to be scanned to be sent to someone. Canon iPhone App allows you either to store the dorument in image format or in pdf. So I guess you can further edit to make it look good. But you loose a lot of time.

It's better canon relases a new version of MP Navigator to support MX870 for macOS High Sierra. 

Badri

The only way I have been ableto use my scanner after the upgrade to High Sierra is as follows:

Got to System Preferences, select Printers & Scanners, when menu pops up choose scanner. You will then see the image you have in the MX870 being scanned. You then have to select what you want scanned, and after save it to your desktop or wherever you want it. A little cumbersome, but it sure beats having to buy another printer/scanner!

Hi: Thanks for writing back to me. Appreciate it.

Better than that process, please do try using the Canon App on your mobile, which can scan a document and save it as JPG or pdf file and you can further email to any mail id. All you need is that both your iphone and the printer has to be connected to the same wifi network. This is much better than the very basic scan that you have tried.

Canon can't keep quite in not releasing the driver for the printer to support MacOS high sierra. I am sure there are many thousands of users across the world and one can't simply throw the machine due to this non availability of the driver to support the latest OS release. 

Regards

Badri

Me Too... Devastating! Perfectly fine Printer/scanner headed to the dump!

LG8
Apprentice

The scanner didn't work for me either once I've updated to High Sierra and doesn't look like Canon will be providing a new driver for the update.

I've called them and they've suggested I use Mac's Image Capture application to scan. This works for me.

Announcements