cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon PIXMA MP980 help?

SPerry
Apprentice

I purchased this all-in-one secondhand on my birthday Friday. It starts up fine, and it came with the cable, but not the installation CD. That was fine, I thought I could just download whatever I needed.

I was wrong. So, so wrong. 

I installed several applications and drives hoping that I'd have the right one, but the best I can do is get the computer to tell me that the ink needs to be replaced. The scanner won't scan and send to the computer, nor will the printer pick up the paper I loaded in the rear tray. Am I missing something?

It was only $5 so it isn't a big deal, but the ink is really affordable versus other printers. I'd really like to get it to work

4 REPLIES 4

Patrick
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi SPerry,

What version of Windows is installed on your computer?

If using a Mac, what version of OS X is installed?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

HI Patrick, sorry about that. My machine is a Windows 7 64bit

Hi SPerry,

Reinstalling your PIXMA MP980 should resolve this issue.

Please disconnect the USB cable from your PIXMA MP980.

Please press the Windows key on your keyboard and the letter R, then let both go.  In the Run window, please type CONTROL PANEL and click OK

In Control Panel, please click on Devices and Printers.  Right click the Canon MP980 and left click on Remove device.  Repeat this until all Canon MP980's are removed.

Once complete, please click on Control Panel (or the Back button) in the upper left corner.

In Control Panel, please click on Uninstall a program (or Programs and Features).

In the list that appears, please click on Canon MP980 series MP Drivers and then click on Uninstall at the top.  Follow the prompts to uninstall the drivers.  When that is done, please click on Canon MP Navigator EX and then Uninstall at the top.  Follow those prompts to uninstall.

Next, please reinstall:

1.  Visit Canon's website at: http://usa.canon.com/support

2.  Type PIXMA MP980 in the "enter a model" box and click GO.

3.  On the Support page for your unit, click on the Drivers & Download button.

4.  Click on the Select button next to MP980 series MP Driver Ver. 1.03 and then the Donwload button

Once the download is complete, please open your downloads folder and double click mp980swin64103ej.exe to reinstall the drivers.

When the drivers are installed, please revisit the Support Page of your PIXMA MP980 and click on the Drivers & Downloads button again.  Next, click on the Software tab.  Click the Select button next to MP Navigator EX Ver. 2.05 and then the Download button.  Once the download is complete, please open your downloads folder and double click mpnx_2_0-win-2_05-ea23_2.exe to install the MP Navigator EX.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

DonHatingcanon
Apprentice

What a shame that the ink can't be disabled and use the Canon MP980 as a scanner!    I used to like Canon but this has ended our marriage.

Announcements