cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX922 takes a long time to start printing

bobsingh1
Apprentice

I bought this printer over the holidays and the setup was a breeze. All in all I love this printer. I have it on my wired network and its accessible through all gadgets at home and there are plenty of them. Our printing needs are not that great. Occasional homework projects for kids or a copy scan here and there. I have left the printer powerd on and it stays online but what I have noticed is that if I don't print for over a day or two, and then send a job, the printer takes forever to start printing. It looks like it gets the job immediately as the lcd lights up but it takes clost to 5 minutes to process it. In those 5 minutes I keep hearing something going on inside the printer. But once it starts printing it does a great job of keep going. Why does it take so long to start after a few days?

I have set it up for primary use from my Windows 10 desktop which is on the wired network as well.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

If the unit has been powered on recently or has been left idle for a while, it will go through a brief warmup process before printing.

However, subsequent printouts should come out quickly.

If additional assistance is needed, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

If the unit has been powered on recently or has been left idle for a while, it will go through a brief warmup process before printing.

However, subsequent printouts should come out quickly.

If additional assistance is needed, find more help at Contact Us.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thanks for the reply. Isn't there a way for the printer to warm up occasionally by itself if not printing for a while? How long it has to stay idle for this warm up process to kick in when a job is sent?

Hello.

For additional assitance or details about the printer functions, find more help at Contact Us.

The MX922 is the worst Canon printer I have owned.  It take MINUTES to power on.  I am not a heavy user of this device so it is left off.  But when I turn it on I need wait seeral mintues for it to power on.  It is ridiculous.

I have this exact same problem. The printer just whirrs and clunks and humms for about 5 minutes when I first turn it on and tell it to print. What in the world is it doing that takes so long? Some kind of calibration? Or cleaning ink nozzles?

This is always stressful because I am never sure if it is eventually going to start working.

So, Canon, is there some firmware fix?

It also seems to use a lot of ink to print just a few dozen pages.

In the meantime, I'm going to give this printer a mediocre review on Amazon. I had a very reliable eight-year-old HP printer, but HP never updated the software driver to work with my current Macintosh. That is why I got the new Canon. Just because it had software that worked with my current Mac OS.

My Canon wireless printer, MX922, takes forever (5 minutes) to start printing, whether it is the first job of the day or the tenth job of the morning. If this is NOT addressed by Canon, soon, I am going to be forced to buy another brand of printer and send this one to the dump ...where it belongs in its current operational state!

Had to vent... It's a real shame, because I own it, but this printer really is quite terrible overall with printing times for the occasional paper print, which is my case.

I have an Epson Office Stylus BX635FWD (in my other office) which is going on 10 years now, and prints so quickly in comparison and it's just reliable! I would have bought the same one if it was still availalbe, this seemed to be the closest 'modern' printer to my needs, which was mainly to scan with an auto-feed and occasionally print a random paper or two.

I've found the connectivity just as frustrating... it's taken me 30 mins at time to print one paper between connecting and waiting for the printer to warm up and then tell me there's a problem of some kind!

My MX700 was great. A Windows 10 update made it unusable so I bought another Canon printer. BIG MISTAKE!  The MX922 SUCKKKSSSSSS!  It takes forever to start printing EVERY TIME.

And Canon doesn't respond to all these forum posts.

DO NOT BUY THIS PRINTER!!

I have the same problem. I turn all of the computer stuff off every night. But then the Canon MX922 takes maybe five minutes to get ready to print in the morning. I have only vague ideas of what it is doing. Whirs and clunks and clicks. Maybe some kind of calibration?

Has been reliable otherwise, though.

Announcements