cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX922 - black text and lines are very blurry , even with new cartridge and multiple alignments

cfauvel
Contributor

Did auto and manual alignments multiple times, did head cleaning procedure numerous times.

Cleaned the timer ribbon numerous times

(if it were the timer ribbon wouldn't color be blury too?)

The black is a brand new canon branded PGI255xxl

The issue is only with black and white printing. 

And you can see that some of the words and some of the lines are crisp where most are not

If I print the document to paper type: Matt Photo , everyhting prints right albeit not really black.

At this point I think it can ONLY be the print head.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

IT IS FIXED!!

ultimately it WAS the print head...got a new OEM print head and re-printed my tests...on first try it was back to sharp....then did a manul alignment and was able to get all values to 0 or 1 (way better than +5) .

Back in business.

OEM print head is getting expensive, but I trust it more than aftermarket.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Michael
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hello.

Cleaning the encoder strip may help with this issue.  Visit the following link for details about this process:

Cleaning the timing (encoder) strip

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

as per the original post 

"Cleaned the timer ribbon numerous times"

cleaned it probably 3 times.

My take is that if the ribbon was dirty and the optical reader was getting confused, printing in color would too print blurry and non-straight lines...but that is NOT the case.

Simply changing my preferences when printing to use Matt Photo paper (even though it is plain paper) it prints perfectly, again albeit not a true black.

Am I wrong in my assumption that the timing Ribbon is used for both BW and color?

Here are my examples of the blurryness and the print allignment settings.

CFAUVEL_print_example_blurry_1.jpgCFAUVEL_print_example_blurry_2.jpgCFAUVEL_print_example_blurry_3.jpgCFAUVEL_print_example_blurry_4.jpgCFAUVEL_print_example_blurry_5.jpgCFAUVEL_print_example_blurry_6.jpg

Anybody else wants to chime in?

Anybody else thinks it is the print head and not the timer ribbon?

since there are two sets of nozzels  and the print head shares the the same timer ribbon, and color prints perfectly I find it hard to believe it is a dirty timer ribbon..

Hi cfauvel,

Because performing the encoder cleaning did not clear the issue, your PIXMA MX922 would require service.  If your PIXMA MX922 was purchased less than a year ago, it is in warranty.  Please call us and we can assist you with your warranty options.  If it was purchased greater than a year ago, it is out of warranty. You are eligible for Canon's Upgrade Program.  This is for out of warranty units which have been diagnosed to require service, or for some reason are incompatible with a new or upgraded system.  This option allows you a one-time opportunity to purchase a replacement product, discounted from the list price.

To help you get up and running quickly, we also offer free standard shipping (if the order is completed by 12:30PM ET).  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with technical support and the Canon Upgrade Program was offered.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

it was purchased in 2016

What models would you suggest as a form of an "upgrade" to this model?

Our friendly sales team will be happy to go over all of your needs, including your budget, and what you currently have, and what you want in an upgraded unit, and help you determine which model would be best for you as an upgrade. Again, our US-based team can be reached at 1-866-443-8002. The Canon Upgrade Program is available Monday - Saturday from 9am to 9pm (ET). 

Hector
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi cfauvel,

From what you are descibing, it does look like there is a problem with the print head. In this situation, you can try reseating the printhead using the steps in the link provided HERE.

Once the print head has been reloaded, you can try printing again to see if the issue has been resolved. If the issue still continues, you can try another head alignment.

If the problem is still not resolved, I would suggest contacting our agents at 1-800-652-2666 to see what service options are available.

IT IS FIXED!!

ultimately it WAS the print head...got a new OEM print head and re-printed my tests...on first try it was back to sharp....then did a manul alignment and was able to get all values to 0 or 1 (way better than +5) .

Back in business.

OEM print head is getting expensive, but I trust it more than aftermarket.

Announcements