cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX920 will print from mobile, but not laptop

KCritchley
Apprentice

I can initiate scans from my laptop (on wifi), and I can print from mobile, but when I initiate print (on wifi) from either of 2 laptops, or try to print test pages the same way, it goes into error state.

Ive tried all the usual fixes, restarting things, updating drivers etc, but haven't figured out the issue yet.

any thoughts?

3 REPLIES 3

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

@KCritchley wrote:

I can initiate scans from my laptop (on wifi), and I can print from mobile, but when I initiate print (on wifi) from either of 2 laptops, or try to print test pages the same way, it goes into error state.

Ive tried all the usual fixes, restarting things, updating drivers etc, but haven't figured out the issue yet.

any thoughts?

Greetings,

We need more information about "it goes into error state"

What is this exactly?  Something displays on the screen, LED sblink? etc.  Please provide as much detail/information about the problem.  What you did and the specific result.  For now, I suggest you stick with one laptop for troubleshooting.  Knowing its OS, the drivers you installed, etc may also help.  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Thanks for the responce!

Okay, using just a Lenovo Edge 2 Laptop running win10  64:

I initiate Print from the laptop.

sometimes, I'm told the printer is Offline (But I can immediately go initiate a scan from the laptop, using that printer, no trouble).

When it does think the printer is online, it will send the document (or test page) to the print queue. the doc status in the queue will read "printing", and then, after a moment, and with no visible change to the display on the actual printer itself, which is just displaying the normal menu, the doc status (on the queue on my laptop) will switch to "Error - Printing". No, like, convientient codes or anything.

If I initiate a second job from my laptop without clearing the queue, I get a popup window that says the printer "is in an error state" and the job enters the queue behind the errored job. If I clear the queue, and initiate a job again, it goes to the print queue, says Printing, says Error, as above. if I delete an error'd job with other jobs behind it, the new job displays Status "Printing", and then a popup informs me that there was an error printing, and the doc status changes to "Error - Printing"

So, laptop and Printer are on the same wifi network, I checked, and Can communicate, since scanning works... I have been working around the issue by printing things to pdf and then emailing to myself and printing using the Canon app on my android. sometimes it takes a minute or more for printer to respond, (or, to appear as Online in the list of available printing options when I print from phone through its, like, native printing app without going specifically through the canon app) but it seems to print then without touble.

running the windows printing troubleshooter usually says that it can't resolve (presumably find) an error, and every now and then tells me the printer is off (when it is not) and when I say I've turned it on, then the trubleshooter DOES give me that "here are the errors" screen with the printer being off listed as the only error, and marked Solved.

the only error code I've found anywhere, is in the setting menu on the laptop, Printers &Scanners, Canon MX920 series Printer WS, manage your device... under Hardware Properties the device status seems to always be listed as "currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)" and it tells me to reconect them.

I visited the canon website, and downloaded and installed the driver they have listed as the most current, 2016, driver (mp68-win-mx920-1_01-ea32_2.exe), which said it installed fine. I also ran the "update firmaware" utility on the Printer itself, and it said it was up to date.

and so here I sit, temporarily out of Ideas.

Is that enough info? what would anyone recommend I check next?

Hi KCritchley,

Do you have security software installed?  If you do and temprarily disable it, are you able to print?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements