cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX870, vertical line on copies and scans. How do I get rid of this?

RLWilber4
Apprentice

I have tried the maintenance functions to clean the printer heads, etc. Nothing seems to work. I keep getting a vertical line down the right side of my copies and scans. Do I need to take the machine apart to clean?

8 REPLIES 8

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

Is the vertical line black, white, or colored?

black

Then it sounds like you have spot of dirt, smudge of ink, or possibly even a small scratch on the scanner's glass platen. Provided the platen is not scratched, then cleaning will typically resolve the issue.  If you have your user manual then refer to how to clean the platen in it and/or download a copy from Canon's support site.

A brief description of the cleaning process would be to turn off your printer's power and disconnect the power cord before cleaning the machine.  Clean the inner side of the document cover, but be careful as it can be easily damaged.  Next, with a soft cloth, wipe the glass platen to remove any spot, residue, etc.  Do a visual inspection of the platen, and if it looks clean then plug your printer back in and run a test copy.  If it's clean then cool, but if the black streak remains then you may have a smudge of some kind on the underside of the glass platen.  Refer to the user manual for how to remove the glass platen to clean it underneath and/or how to gain access to the underside in order to clean it.

Try that, and if it doesn't work there could be other issues that may cause a black line.  Start with the simplest solution first and clean the platen and document cover.

it did not work     the line only appears when copying and DOES NOT appear when a fax is received

Hi albertb,

Cleaning the rollers of the ADF and the platen glass may resolve the issue.  To do this, please follow these steps:

1. Please turn off the printer, then open the left-side cover of the ADF. Inside of the cover, you should see several rubber rollers.

2. With a moistened cotton swab (you can moisten the swab with water or glass cleaner), please clean each of the rollers, being sure to rotate the rollers with the swab instead of directly touching it.

3. Once the rollers have been cleaned, please close the ADF cover.

4. Next, please open the printer cover to get to the platen glass. With the moistened swab, please clean the small strip of the glass that is off to the left hand side, separated from the main scan area of the glass.  You will also want to clean the main area of the platen glass as well.

5. Once the above areas have been cleaned, please attempt to photocopy and scan again. 

Hope this helps!

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us using one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hello,

How can I remove the platen glass ? It is very dirty inside ( it looks like someone spilled coffee on the glass )

albertb
Contributor

how did u fix it

albertb
Contributor
did u find a fix?
Announcements