cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX870 Printer Scanner Message "Set the PC to start scanning"

txtony
Apprentice

I've read the previous posts but they were not able to resolve my problem.

PIXMA MX870 printer/scanner (flatbed)

Set to Scan & pressed the "Black" button - displays the message "Set the PC to start scanning"

Plan A:

I redownloaded the drivers but one that appears to be missing is the IJ Scan Utility.  When I tried to download the software, I received an error message indicating that it cannot detect the printer so I unplugged the electrical & USB cords and tried it again.  Same error.  The printer is connected because I can print with it.

Plan B was to go in via the Settings.  This is what I tried with no success.

Settings

Device

Printers/Scanners

Selected Canon MX870 Series Printer

Manage

Selected Canon MX870 Series Printer from the drop down

Printed a test page

Selected Scanner: Canon MX870 Ser

Open Scanner

The Scanner section shows Canon MX870 Series FAX; Source = Flatbed; File Type = PDF

Clicked on Preview that showed what was on the scanner bed

Clicked Scan – system showed Scanning on screen but then got the following message:

Problem Scanning.  Something went wrong.  Please try again.

Thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Rick,

Thanks for trying to point me in the right direction.  I took your advice and uninstalled/reinstalled the main driver to make sure I received the "install complete" message.  Even after doing that, the same problem occurred.  However, I did not give up.  The problem was that the driver I used (mp68-win-mx870-1_06-ea24) did not include the IJ Scan Utility.  The support documents do not tell you that the Utility download is located in the Software section under "MP Navigator EX Ver. 3.15 (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP/2000)".  Once I downloaded this fine piece of software, I was back in business. 

I hope this helps others who had the same problem.

Regards,

TX Tony

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Thoughts?  (best guess)

You appear to be running Windows 10.  You have attempted to install your printer one or more times, but failed, and have not been able to run the setup or drivers installation to completion.

Windows 10 is doing its best to support the device you have connected, but does not appear to have all of its drivers and while some functionalty is present, other functions do not work.

Since multiple drivers for the printer exist, telling us you "re-downloaded" the drivers doesn't tell us much. 

"Downloading software" will not cause you to "receive an error message indicating that it cannot detect the printer ". 

I downloaded both the MP and XPS drivers successfully and saved them to my desktop without issue. 

"The printer is connected because I can print with it." 

The ability to print a test page or document does not mean your printer is correctly installed. 

You haven't given us enough information or back story.

Is this a new install?

Did the printer work previously and then stop?  (If so, what changed)?   

Are you sure the cable you are using to connect it with is not damaged, is of good quality and meets the devices connection requirements? 

Are you connecting the printer directly to a USB port, or using a hub, etc?

I would suggest removing the printer, uninstalling the drivers and starting over.

Per the Quick Start guide, when installing using a USB connection, you do not connect the printer until after the software installation is complete (or until prompted).  You will be notified when to connect and power on the device. 

USB Install starts on page 22  

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

Rick,

Thanks for trying to point me in the right direction.  I took your advice and uninstalled/reinstalled the main driver to make sure I received the "install complete" message.  Even after doing that, the same problem occurred.  However, I did not give up.  The problem was that the driver I used (mp68-win-mx870-1_06-ea24) did not include the IJ Scan Utility.  The support documents do not tell you that the Utility download is located in the Software section under "MP Navigator EX Ver. 3.15 (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64/XP/2000)".  Once I downloaded this fine piece of software, I was back in business. 

I hope this helps others who had the same problem.

Regards,

TX Tony

Announcements