cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX870 - Need to reinstall printer for wireless printing every time I reboot computer

msk119
Apprentice

Hi,

I have had my Canon MX-870 for nearly 4 years now and have always printed wirelessly. A few weeks ago, my printer started showing up offline when I started my laptop and the only way I could get the printer back online was to remove the printer and reinstall the software again. Since that date, every day, I must remove the printer and reinstall the software and driver in order to use the printer wirelessly.

I have tried all known fixes and nothing has worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be causing this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hello.

The issue that you have described appears to be related to a timeout between the router and the printer.  When this occurs, we would have to advise that you turn the printer off and back on in order to refresh the connection with the network.  I apologize for this inconvenience.

If additional assistance is needed, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

Tiffany

Hi Msk119!

So that the Community can help you better, we will need to know exactly what operating system you're using.   Any other details you'd like to give will only help the Community better understand your issue.

Thanks!

Ok. Sorry, I forgot to include that information. I am using Windows 7 64, and as I had said, I connect to the printer wirelessly. It had worked fine without any issues for several years, but now I need to reinstall the printer each time I restart my computer. I have tried various network tools and troubleshooting available through Canon, but nothing can get the printer back offline without deleting the printer and re-installing.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Michael

Hello.

The issue that you have described appears to be related to a timeout between the router and the printer.  When this occurs, we would have to advise that you turn the printer off and back on in order to refresh the connection with the network.  I apologize for this inconvenience.

If additional assistance is needed, feel free to call us at 1-800-OKCANON.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Thank you! It worked perfectly. It seems like the simplest solution, but I never thought of just turning off the printer. Much better than having to reinstall the printer every day.

Thank you very much,

Michael

This is not a solution in my mind; I have had this same printer (MX870) for years and it has worked great until recently.  Now all/any computers on my wifi network cannot see it unless I power it off and back on daily.  The PCs using it are of varying make-up; (1) Windows 7-64; (2) Windows 10-64.  This is super inconvenient and it makes it essentially a local printer that you can only use in the same room as the PC.

Please Help!

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements