cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon MX490 Cannot communicate with scanner

krebspj
Apprentice

Hi,                                                                       November 10, 2017

I have had the MX490 for a year. Today, a neighbor needed to borrow my USB cable from my Printer/Scanner.

When I re-installed the USB cable and go to make a scan I get the message:

Cannot comminicate with scanner for this reason

-Scanner is turned off

-USB cable is disconnected

Code 5, 156, 69

The USB cable is connected and ther printer/scanner is turned on.

I am able to make prints from the internet with the printer but I get the above message when I try to use the scanner.

I re-nstalled the driver but that doesn't help.

Please help me resolve this issue.

6 REPLIES 6

Jason
Whiz

Hi, krebspj!

Welcome to the Canon Forums and thanks for your post!

To have a better understanding of your issue, please let everyone know what operating system (Windows Vista/7/8 or Mac OS 10.X) you are using.

If this is a time-sensitive matter, our US-based technical support team is standing by, ready to help via Email at http://Canon.us/SupportCF

Thanks!

Hi,                                                                  November 10, 2017

I'm using Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit operating system.

Hi krebspj,

Let's re-install the drivers one more time, this time with a twist.

1. Disconnect the USB cable
  2. Click HERE.

3. Scroll down to "Optional Drivers."

4. Click “Select” next to "MX490 series MP Drivers."

5. Press "Download."

6. Open and run the file.

7. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the installation.

The installation program will prompt you when to reconnect the USB cable.

This didn't answer your question or issue? Please call or email us at one of the methods on the Contact Us page for further assistance.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

This solution did not solve the problem.  Next. Please

cweltin
Apprentice

I have a MX490 also - but my picture is now blurry - either using flatbed or feeder.  Have you had this issue?

TomH2021
Apprentice

Had the same problem as krebspj and a few others. MX490 would not scan.

(Using Windows 10 - the worst OS that Microsoft ever unleashed on the unsuspecting public)

After several unsuccesful re-installs of printer software, solved problem as follows.

Basically, you need to clean out all Canon entries on your computer and start afresh.

Switch off the printer and remove the USB cable.

Do the Uninstall of all Canon components (about 11 of them) using the Control Panel facility.

Enter the PC registry via Regedit as Administrator (take care if you are unfamiliar and are fumbling in the dark)

Find the Canon entries under Software.

Delete all registry keys for Canon. Quite a few residual keys are left behind after the uninstall process.

Back to Control Panel, go to Devices and Printers.

Delete the Canon printer.

Your machine should now be in a condition where it can deny ever having known Canon.

Download the appropriate driver package from Canon website.

With PC still not connected to printer, run the downloaded file and go for a cup of tea.

You will be prompted during install to connect PC and printer.

Joyfully, I was able to scan and print after that lot.

Announcements